Chapter XXI: Boyfriends

Harry stared at the pictures on the table. Selena had a bruise on her cheek and a busted lip. Drew's handprint was as clear as day on her neck. She had scrapes on her arms and torn clothes as well. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying too much.

Selena had finally fallen asleep after having a panic attack from trying to tell them her story.

Zayn was able to fill in the blanks for them. He had only recently heard about what happened a year ago and was somehow able to get his hands on a copy of the police file in the short amount of time.

With it came some photos, including those of Drew's assault on Selena.

Liam went out for a smoke after only glancing at the photos.

Niall took the photos and shoved them back in the envelope, almost crumpling them. "It wouldn't be good if she suddenly woke up and saw these."

And now Harry was contemplating how he could kill the dead.

He was digging on his palms so hard, it started bleeding. He needed to distract himself or he might just go out and hunt some Damned to vent out.

Zayn got out of the bathroom with a small, damp towel on his hand. He knelt next to Selena and gently wiped of her tear-stained face with it, letting the cool towel alleviate some of the puffiness on her eyes as well.

The green-eyed monster in Harry couldn't help but speak out, "You were near her all this time, why didn't you help her?"

Zayn paused, "I promised her I wouldn't look into her business unless she asked me to."

"She doesn't like asking for help, that one." Niall commented.

Zayn had a sad, small smile on his lips. "Yeah. Should've realized it back then."

"I-uh, don't mean to pry but we're you and Selena-?" Niall asked.

"We used to date." Zayn glanced at Harry who tried to remain stoic but anybody could see he was ticked. "Like Harry and her did."

Harry frowned. He didn't like how Zayn compared his relationship with Selena to Harry's and hers. "Do you know me?"

"I've heard about you," Zayn answered, nodding towards the sleeping girl. "She told me some stories."

Harry frowned even deeper.

"I see she didn't give you the same courtesy," Zayn said.

Niall slowly positioned himself between Harry and Zayn.

"Guess you weren't significant enough to be mentioned," Harry huffed.

Niall couldn't believe Harry was really picking a fight with Zayn right now. "Come on, Harry. Let's go see how Liam's doing outside, k?"

"Sure, and you are, right?" Zayn smirked.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Zayn dropped the wet towel and stood up, "I can see why Marie left you without a word."

Harry stood up as well and took a step forward but Niall was quick on his feet to stop him from going any further.

There was a few tense moments until Zayn turned to Niall, "You guys can stay and sleep here. I'll come back in the morning."

Zayn grabbed his motorcycle keys and left.

"Nice going, Harry," Liam sarcastically said from the door. "You might wanna rethink which ex-boyfriend you should be angry at."

"Yeah, Harry. That wasn't cool," Niall said, picking up the wet towel and going to the bathroom to wash it. "Selena obviously thinks that Zayn dude can be trusted. Plus it does look like he wants to protect our Golden too."

"Well, fuck, I don't," Harry muttered, pulling up a chair to sit closer to Selena.

"Something is fishy with him, all right." Liam commented.

"What do you mean?" Niall asked. "And whose side are you really even on, Liam?"

Selena whimpered in her sleep and everyone's eyes were on her in a flash. Niall and Liam squirmed a little as she did so.

"What?" Harry said

"Uhh, so she's really miserable right now and her emotions are kinda coming in short bursts inside my head or something," Niall explained. "It's been happening for a while now. Must be the bond."

"Fuck it," Harry stood up and grabbed one of the car keys. "You guys better make sure she's safe. Call me when she wakes up."

"You gonna beat up some randos outside?" Liam smirked.

Harry had half a mind to beat Liam up at this point. But he just walked past him and went out and drove off.

He thought that it wasn't a bad idea - Liam's suggestion to beat up someone. But not just a random person though.

He drove until he was in front of the rundown motel they first went to when they arrived in town.

He spotted a motorcycle nearby and could hear loud grunts as he neared the small reception area the place had.

The door was wide open and he saw Zayn already beating up the burly man named Roy.

"Shit," Harry muttered under his breath. He just took out a cigarette and sat down the steps. He listened to Zayn cursing at Roy as the guy repeatedly apologized to him.

A few minutes later, Zayn was stepping out the cramped room. He was wiping the blood from his hands with a towel he picked up from the counter.

"You're late again," Zayn commented calmly as if he didn't just beat someone to near death.

Harry didn't even comment and only took a puff of his cigarette.

"Does she know you do shit like this?" Harry asked.

"She does," Zayn smirked. "Part of the reason we broke up was because I didn't want to bring her into this shithole. She's too good to be in this mess."

Regret was laced in Zayn's words. Much like how Harry felt right now. He was regretting letting her go.

If only I followed after her that night.

"So are you just gonna sit there," Zayn asked. "Cause Roy told me some names of some dudes that you might be interested to visit with me."

Harry's ears perked up, "I hope you know where those names are."

"It's not hard to guess," Zayn said, throwing away the bloody towel. "We can start with Drew's cousin."

Harry flicked his cigarette aside. He may not really like Zayn but he can set that aside for now.

"Let's go."