Chapter V: Fine Line

Three days had passed and both Selena and Harry were still up in the cottage.

It had taken Selena a whole day to recover just for wishing she could have her things back. She dreaded knowing how much more blood she needed to sacrifice for a wish bigger than that.

Harry had taken care of her. He had cooked her meals and had discouraged her from helping him clean the house. He had done most of it himself, making sure that the house was fit to live in without Selena sneezing every five minutes.

When she had recovered, Harry announced that he needed to go to the nearest town to buy a few supplies.

There was no signal in the cottage so Selena wanted to tag along with him so she could call her parents.

Not that Harry was letting her out of his sight anyway.

Harry had given Selena contacts to wear while she was in the midst of other people. Harry warned her though, that the contacts would dissolve after a couple of hours.

The power did not like to be hidden. It wanted the Golden to be proud.

The first thing Selena did when they reached town was call her parents. She had to lie to her family. She told them that something came up and she was already on her way back to Cambridge.

Victoria was bummed out about it. She was looking forward to spending time with her big sister back in the town where they grew up. Victoria was moving out to LA in a month and she wanted to at least revisit some places with Selena.

Selena promised she would visit her in LA instead. She didn't know when that was but she said she would as soon as she could. And before they hung up, she warned her sister to be careful.

Selena promised herself that she would only see her family again once this was over. She did not want to drag them in this mess.

Harry also received a message from Gemma. His sister told her she was fine for the most part. And that it was The Family who attacked.

"The Family? You mean the group of humans you call-"

"Fucking dipshits, yeah. They've been around for a century from what I gathered. Killed quite a few Goldens too."

"So why are they killing Goldens then?"

"They believe that Goldens are freaks of nature who shouldn't exist. And that it is their divine mission to find and eliminate them."

"Oh Lord."

Harry shook his head. "They're the freaks, if you ask me."

Harry had always been good at comforting Selena.

Selena had nightmares every night about Rosie. In her dreams, Rosie would run after her while wielding a knife. She would always wake up screaming and in cold sweat just before Rosie caught up with her.

And every night, Harry would come running at her door. He would comfort her until she fell asleep in his arms.

Both of them did not mention anything about sleeping next to each other the next morning.

Everything that was happening to her was pretty nerve wracking. Especially the part about having to be with Harry.

They both didn't say a word about how easy it was to fall back into pace with each other. They had learned to accommodate each other's habits and quirks before and it wasn't hard to reacquaint themselves now.

They didn't talk about the past. They mostly made small talk about things like what needed to be done around the house or arguing who would do the dishes.