Chapter VIII: To Be So Lonely

"Welcome to the jolly little town of Joliet," Liam declared as the trio stepped down the car.

Having Liam with them proved to be really useful, albeit Harry was annoyed for the most part. For one, they didn't need to drive all the way through because Liam had his own private jet.

"It's all part of the mafia money, Selena."

"What?"

Liam laughed at her bewildered expression. He folded the sleeves of his long-sleeved shirt and showed her a skull tattoo that is surrounded by roses. There was an inscription above it that said, "we are the quiet ones."

"That's...?"

"No Payne, no gain, baby." Liam winked. "It's all family business."

Selena glanced at Harry. He saw her look and rolled his eyes at her as he shook his head. Selena still wondered how Harry had the money to buy all the properties he had.

She breathed a sigh of relief knowing Harry didn't join a gang or mafia.

Liam telling her that he was part of a mafia family explained a lot about him though, such as his attitude and recklessness. But she didn't say anything because it came in handy right now. She was kind of thankful Liam showed up when he did.

They landed on the nearest airport to Joliet and Liam had arranged for a car for them from there. They headed to a small inn in town where they planned to stay.

Selena didn't get her own room. She was rooming with Harry, upon his insistence. Liam offered to room with her but Harry shot that thought down fast.

"So where to?" Liam asked after they regrouped in the closest fast food for lunch.

He and Selena both turned to Harry expectantly.

"We find the Gallagher family."

"And you think they're the Keyper family?" Liam asked then he took a big bite of the burger he had on his hand.

"They're the oldest family in town," Harry answered.

"Huh. That doesn't mean the Keyper is a Gallagher. You're not exactly part of the Addingtons. Made it hard for them. For me too."

Harry shot a look at Liam.

"What, she doesn't know?"

"Shut up," Harry snarled.

"Know what?" Selena asked.

"Harry's the illegitimate kid of Robin Addington," Liam shrugged.

Selena's jaw dropped. Her eyes immediately darted towards Harry who abruptly stood up and left the table.

Selena's eyes followed after him until he disappeared on a corner.

"Did you two know each other or something?" Liam asked, an eyebrow raised.

"I... yeah... he- we went to the same high school," she said after picking up her slacked jaw.

"Huh. So he's known you for a while now. How come you two only searched for other Keypers now?"

"No. I... I only became like... this a week ago. The other...one - Rosie - she passed it to me when she was killed by The Family."

"Well, shit. Best try hard not to let that happen to you then," Liam shrugged.

Selena looked over to where Harry disappeared to. "You shouldn't have told me that about Harry."

"He'll get over it."

Selena frowned at Liam.

"He can't keep sulking about it like a fucking baby."

Her frown deepened. She knew Harry was very close to his father. And he loved his mother deeply. It must've crushed him knowing that her Mom cheated on his Dad. It must've hurt him knowing that the man he looked up wasn't his real Dad.