Making sense of it all

"We think we share you as our mate". I look at them confused and they both stare back like they have just explained everything. I begin to tap my foot and sigh from frustration before saying "Am I supposed to know what the hell a mate is, boys?". They both look at each other for a second before desperately trying to explain to me what a mate is completely talking over each other, making all their words turn into gibberish when mixed with the speed and bad communication skills these two pups have. Note to self, They can't communicate telepathically, got it. "Shut it!" I yell and they both stop talking, or more yelling, immediately. "Tristan, what is a mate?" i say as calmly as possible while trying to ignore the hurt look on Aaron's face, he has already lied to me once tonight. I won't let him lie again.

I lean back in the chair as Tristan finishes telling me about mates. what in the world is happening. Biology? Predesided partners? Natures will? Pheromones? This was like straight out of a fantasy book. "Ok, so you guys think that your DNA is so similar that the biology in you, that is wired to respond to my pheromones, responds the same way? and that you both therefore have the same protective feelings towards me? even though I'm a complete stranger to you?" I say as I point at Tristan "and an almost complete stranger to you?" and I move my finger to point at Aaron. They both nod and Tristan says "Yeah pretty much" very nonchalantly.

"But I'm human? Aren't pheromones supposed to be a wolf thing?"

Aaron sighs "Normally, wolves wouldn't react to human pheromones, but humans do have them and send them out. Yours seems to be way stronger than the average human"

"But you didn't react as Tristan did when meeting me the first time?"

"You might not remember but I did react slightly. I shook it off as simple surprise, but i couldn't shake the feeling that it was more, so i brought you here"

-FLASHBACK-

His voice was like a low growl when he asked me "what. is. your. name" over pronouncing every word. I quivered a bit, at his words but refused to let him see how shocked and frightened I actually was. I stood up straight, held my head high and said smugly "why do you want to know". I felt a strong pointer finger tap me in the chest, I was startled but I don't think he noticed because he looked curious as to why I wasn't afraid of him. He stared deep into my eyes and chuckled as if he was amused and took a long step back. Now it was my turn to look confused, why wasn't he angry, he should be angry, right? He kept staring at me as if he was waiting for something and after a couple of seconds I gave in and finally answered "Alana, my name is Alana". He smiled a smug smile, as if he had won something, but in a moment of boldness I blurted out my own question to him "what about you big boy, what's your name?" he looked genuinely startled by my bravery. I don't blame him, I was startled by my boldness too. He looked softly at me, almost like he was intimidated. But he quickly changed the position he was in and his eyes became hard.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

"I Thought you were just surprised by my boldness" I said shocked.

"So did I, But remember the next day? I was completely at your mercy, and it frightened me"

-FLASHBACK-

He was sitting behind this huge birch desk, looking at some documents. How rude, he didn't even look up from the papers when he motioned for me to sit down. Before I could think, I spoke boldly "Are you not even gonna look me in the eye, or offer me a seat?" I crossed my arms and started tapping my foot on the floor, to emphasise what I just said. He shifted in his seat and looked down in his lap embarrassed. How odd, he spoke softly , not at all like the authoritative tone he used before "please have a seat Alana". I recognized his behavior, and I needed to test him a bit more, but it seemed like the alpha had a secret. Maybe, getting kidnapped wasn't such a bad thing after all, this could be fun.

I chuckled smugly and smirked. I wondered how far he was willing to go. "Come on big boy, are you not gonna pull out the chair for me like a gentleman?" I asked while lifting up my left eyebrow. He acted quick and swiftly, like it was an instinct and his body was moving on its own, to follow my words. He bent down and pulled out the chair for me, but before he could stand up again, I pulled his hair backwards, hard, so he was looking into my green stare. He was only standing on one knee and fell down onto them both, to not lose balance, when I tugged on his hair a little harder. "Not so big and strong now, are we big boy?" I whispered softly in his ear. He gasped and let out a shaky breath with closed eyes, before answering me. His response shook me to my core and made me excited at the same time "No, mistress" was his answer.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

It all started to make sense, how easy he had let me into his life and perhaps even....his heart. I looked up into Aarons beautiful blue eyes as I thought about his feelings. But they weren't real, were they? no they were simply a chemical reaction in his brain because of predetermined compatibility. Just chemistry, simple chemistry. "I need a moment" I mumble already halfway out the door. I run, and I keep running until my lungs scream for air and my legs beg me to stop, and then I run further into the big and dark forest surrounding me.