⇨︎ cнapтer nιne ; тнena

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎[CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE ETERNALS]─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

[CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE ETERNALS]
─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

1521 AD - TENOCHTITLAN

Each of the Eternals gathered in one room while Thena laid unconscious on a table with four candles on each corner. Ajak informed them of what Thena was suffering from, and it shocked everyone in ways they couldn't describe.

"I thought Mahd Wy'ry was a myth," Sersi stated. Y/n, the one closest to Thena, held onto the unconscious Eternal's hand, patiently waiting for her to wake up.

"Is there a cure?" Y/n asked, dreading a negative response. Everyone had their own connection with Y/n, some stronger than others, but if they ever needed help with something, Y/n would be the first person they'd all go to. Being caring and protective of her family is one of her best traits, and they all admired how she tried her best to be there for everyone, especially Thena.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. There is no cure." Phastos answered reluctantly. Abruptly, Thena's eyes opened as she gasped, and Druig brought himself closer to Y/n, ready to protect her if necessary.

Thena sighed as she hoisted her upper body, now sitting cautiously on the table. "What happened?"

"Thena, you attacked everyone. You wounded Sersi, Phastos, and you nearly killed Y/n." Ajak explained. Disbelief was engraved in Thena's face as she scanned Y/n's face to see if it was true. Upon discerning Y/n's sorrowful manner and Druig's additional protectiveness over her, she knew Ajak wasn't lying. Waves of guilt crashed through her as she gripped Y/n's hand tighter and bestowed everyone an apologetic expression.

"I don't remember," Thena mumbled, eyebrows creasing in confusion and remorse. "I'm sorry."

"Thena, you didn't mean it," Y/n assured, smiling comfortingly.

Ajak continued, "You have Mahd Wy'ry. Your mind is fracturing under the weight of your memories, and all I can do is erase them, Thena. But we have to inform Arishem and take you back to the ship where we have the technology to help-"

"She won't be Thena anymore," Y/n uttered, interrupting.

"She could've killed you. What if it happens again?" Kingo suggested. "She could've killed all of us." Once those words escaped Kingo's mouth, he realized how messed up they sounded, especially towards Y/n, considering she was suffering through something somewhat similar.

"You can't just take away who she is, Kingo," Y/n argued, tears forming in her eyes along with Thena's. Eyes broadened, Kingo felt guilty for even declaring such a ridiculous statement. Crying wasn't something Y/n and Thena usually did in front of the group, and recognizing that made them thoroughly process the severity of the predicament.

"Please, I want to remember." Thena pleaded, preventing her voice from cracking. "I want to remember my life."

"Thena, I love you, but listen to me. It's not important if you remember or not. Your spirit will remain. You will always be Thena deep inside. Trust me." Ajak explained, positioning her hand over Thena's heart before withdrawing it. Silent tears of anguish trailed down Y/n's cheeks as she envisioned how it would be losing the Thena she knew and cherished. All the adventures they experienced, all the outrageous arguments they had, were things she expected Thena to think back to, and she knew Thena felt the same way.

"Why should she trust you?" Druig interrupted, clasping onto Y/n's unoccupied hand. "You're asking her to let you obliterate who she is."

"Druig, I know you're upset." Ajak declared calmly.

"Upset?" Druig exclaimed loudly. "We've trusted you for 7000 years and look where you've gotten us. I've watched humans destroy each other when I could stop it all from happening. Do you know what that does to someone over the centuries?" A lone tear dripped down his cheek as the others listened without interfering. "Could our mission be a mistake? Are we really helping these humans build a better world, huh?"

Druig released Y/n's hand temporarily, looking down at the chaos occurring from the top of the structure and absorbing each insignificant component. He continued, "We are just like them down there, pawns to their leaders, blinded by loyalty. It ends now."

Eyes flickering a golden color Y/n adored, Druig acquired influence over the humans' minds, ending the conflict in less than a second. Weapons and shields clanged onto the ground as all the mortals turned to face Druig. Irritated by Druig's actions, Ikaris whirled Druig around to face him, ordering him to let the humans go. Promptly, Y/n let go of Thena's hand to stand beside her husband in case Ikaris wanted to try anything.

"Ikaris, please don't try anything," Y/n said, gathering orbs of power in her hands, prepared.

"He needs to let them go, Y/n." Ikaris urged.

"You're going to have to make me, Ikaris." Druig retorted, not showing Ikaris any apprehension.

"Stop," Ajak ordered, and, surprisingly, Ikaris backed away, allowing Y/n to dilute the thriving energy in her hands.

"If you want to stop me, you're going to have to kill me." Druig declared confidently, beginning to stroll down to the controlled humans.

"Druig?" Y/n questioned.

"Y/n, I won't force you to do this with me," Druig responded understandingly. Y/n turned around to view her family one last time, and they all stared at her with despair in their eyes.

"I promise I'll visit each of you." Y/n declared to her family. Thena shifted off the table before embracing the girl in a tight hug, hating to say goodbye. "You're strong, Thena. I will visit you and help you forever, alright, sister?"

"Promise?" Thena asked.

"Promise," Y/n answered. Tears streaming down her face, Thena reluctantly stopped the hug, allowing everyone to hug Y/n before she took Druig's hand, floating him down to the humans he finally got control over.

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

"Do you think we made the right choice?" Druig asked randomly as the two Eternals laid on the grass in each other's arms, admiring the stars just like they always did.

"Honestly, I don't know," Y/n answered. "But there's one thing I know for sure. You saved lives today by stopping it. There were innocents in that battle, and they are alive because of you."

"Thank you for choosing to go with me, darling," Druig replied, smiling at her response as it brought him a bit of consolation.

"My love, I would choose to go with you anywhere," Y/n said, looking up at him before pecking his lips lightly. "And I know how hard it has been for you, all those years watching humans fight and destroy each other."

"You made it easier," Druig murmured, pressing a kiss onto her forehead lovingly. "I love you, darling."

"And I love you, my love," Y/n replied, smiling. "As long as I'm with you, I believe we've made the right decision."

Throughout the rest of the night, the two talked and talked about anything they could, the good and the bad. Their souls were perfect for each other, and they both knew it and never planned to let go, even if fate was against them. Unaware of what the future held for them, especially since their purpose to kill all deviants had been fulfilled, they cherished the feeling of warmth radiating off each other as a shooting star beamed across the sky. Deep inside their minds, they knew this day would come, a day where the team would go different ways, and even though it was scary, they were also excited.

Their love was undying and knowing that made their future journey worth it.

[SORRY FOR ALL ERRORS!]