⇨︎ cнapтer тwelve ; gιlgaмeѕн

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎[CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE ETERNALS]─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

[CONTAINS SPOILERS FROM THE ETERNALS]
─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

PRESENT DAY - THE AMAZON

Confronted with complex information to process, Druig currently required time to speculate, and his wife was perfectly satisfied to give him that by assisting the humans with their day-to-day responsibilities, granting her deja vu to when she used to do the same thing eternities ago until nightfall. Nightfall was one of the moments she valued most about Earth.

The way the stars would unhurriedly emerge, the way everything around her would become hushed except for the crickets pouncing around and spontaneous frog croaks, all of it just made her want it to continue the way it was, but she knew what she wanted was not conceivable. Drowsy, she scoured the forest for a reasonable tree branch to recline and view the stars on, expecting Druig to have his thoughts sorted in the morning. Suddenly, something snapped in the shadowy distance, gaining her attention.

Eyebrows creasing in confusion and curiosity, she sensed numerous sources of evil, an aura she hadn't felt in a long time and an aura she hoped she would never feel again.

"Deviants!" she shrieked to alert everyone at her home, turning invisible as the miscreant revealed itself, growling. Concerned, Druig perked his head up at the sound of her shout as he instantaneously exited their room. Since their cover was blown, the deviants began attacking, singling out the Eternals. As Y/n rapidly flew through the forest, dodging each tree, Druig called out for her; fear meshed in his shouts. Clawing into the buildings, the deviants discovered the humans, making them clamor in terror. Each of them began sprinting with Sersi to the main structure, panting.

Once the majority of the humans were inside, Sersi shut the door and used her powers to create stronger walls around the structure, intending for it to be powerful enough to keep the deviants out. With the remaining humans, Druig made them shoot at the deviant as he hastily looked for his wife. Wind orbited around the deviant, elevating it in the air to make it easier for them to shoot. Smirking, Druig looked to the right to find his wife approaching out of the forest without a scratch on her, enabling relief to spread in both of them once they saw each other unharmed.

"Don't disappear before a deviant ambush again, alright?" Druig said as he shot at the monster and smoothly circumvented its horrible endeavors to catch him.

"I'll try not to, darling." Y/n smiled, creating vines to pin the deviant to the ground as her husband pulled the trigger repeatedly. They truly were quite the duo.

"Druig, let them go!" Sersi pleaded, making Druig face her while Y/n kept the deviant on the ground. "I know you are better than this!" When she acknowledged her statements weren't working on him, she glanced at Y/n, silently begging her to persuade him.

"Darling, it's time to let them go," Y/n whispered. Right after, Druig's eyes glistened with gold, and immediately the humans were unleashed from his control. The humans asked questions, dazed, before Y/n ordered them to run. Just by the apparent seriousness in her tone, they began darting to the river, huddled together. Agitated, a deviant fought out of the vines, swinging its tail to launch Sersi into another rigid structure.

Thrown off by the attack on Sersi, it allowed the deviant to trip Druig in the process, leaving him completely open to a fatal attack. Seeing the moment of weakness, the deviant scampered to Druig, hissing.

"Druig, watch out!" Y/n screamed before bolting in front of him in an effort to protect, positioning her hand against the deviant's head to shove it back and eliminate its power.

Grunts of pain emitted past her lips as she embodied the energy and the two enemies were blasted away from each other in opposite directions. Druig's eyes widened as he recognized what she had done and what she had turned the deviant into. Frozen in place, the deviant remained on the ground as still as an art sculpture, its skin decayed into pure gravel.

Racing to his unconscious wife, he noticed something on her bracelet, a small crack engraved on the side of it. Alarming him, Y/n's eyes opened wide, the familiar jet-black color enhancing in her pupils. Druig once again delayed the power from taking over, holding her close as a sharp pain erupted in her head. Mouth open slightly, Ikaris drifted in the sky above her, processing what he presently witnessed. Furrowing his brows, Ikaris wondered whether his plan would work with Y/n's magnifying strength. Either way, he planned to get his scheme to work.

Unexpectedly, tears proceeded to develop in Y/n's eyes as surges of agony and loss infiltrated the surrounding aura. "Druig, someone else is dead."

─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎─︎

"Thena," Y/n whispered as Thena was sobbing on the forest floor, holding Gilgamesh's corpse close to her. "No." Overwhelmed by emotions, tears trickled down Y/n's face as she stared at the scene in front of her.

Gilgamesh, her best friend, was dead. The one who taught her how to make different types of foods, the one who sometimes helped Druig get Y/n back to normal, the one who wanted her to embrace her power instead of fear it, was now dead.

"He's gone." Thena wept as Y/n hobbled away from Druig and to her sister, going onto her knees to hug Thena. Needing comfort, Thena reciprocated the action, letting the tears tumble down her cheeks. "Do you want to know what he said?"

Y/n nodded in response, worried her voice would crack. Thena answered, "He told me to remember, and he wanted me to tell you to not fear your power, embrace it." Unable to hold back her sobs, Y/n let out a muffled cry as the other Eternals mourned.

"I'm going to kill it." Thena said, referring to the deviant that exterminated Gilgamesh.

Despite how much she wanted to kill the deviant herself, Y/n nodded feebly, agreeing with her sister. "You better, Thena."

Eventually, Thena and Y/n ended the hug and lifted themselves off the ground, tears still descending down their cheeks. Giving Thena a moment to grieve by herself, Y/n tumbled into Druig's arms, knowing she would always feel safe with him.

"He's gone, Druig," she murmured, anguish noticeable in her tone.

"I know and I'm sorry, darling." Druig apologized, feeling his heart twinge in pain as he held his mourning wife. All he wished to do was stop her suffering right then and there, to bring back a smile on her face, but he knew it would be more difficult to, if not improbable.

All he craved was for Y/n to continue being her cheerful self and stay protected, but not everyone in this world gets what they crave.

[THOUGHTS ON THE CHAPTER? :) SORRY FOR ALL ERRORS]