Chapter 1~

~ARAYA JAMES~

~ARAYA JAMES~

" Im leaving now ma! " I shout leaving the house. My mom was probably sleep so I doubt she heard me. I put my air pods on and open my ' Vibes 🤟🏽' playlist. I make sure to turn my volume all the way up so I can't hear anyone around me.

I'm Araya James, and I'm 17 years old. I attend Raven High. Mind you this school is full of mayo packets. I can literally count on one hand how many black people go there, but it's whatever. I mind my business anyways.

My school was about a 20 minute walk from my house. I soon arrive at the prison- I mean school. I take a deep deep breath and head inside.

All the boys turn and look at me as soon as I enter. Ugh here we go again. Every time I wear my natural hair out, everybody and they mama wanna look at me. Like y'all ain't ever seen a afro before ? I had my hair in a afro, with a white crop top, and my pair of grey nike sweats.

Hella basic, but who am I here to impress?

I walk over to my locker. " Hey James " someone says standing behind me. I immediately recognize the voice. Nickolas Francis. Lemme give you a quick run down about this boy.

When we were in the 5th grade I had the fattest crush on the boy. And me being the confident bad bitch I am, I confessed my feelings for him.

And guess what he did. He yanked on my braids and ended up pulling it out. From then on, him and the rest of the school started bullying me. It really hurt back then. Like literally, when someone pulls your braid clean off your head it hurts. I even got a bald spot.

Anywho.

I turn around. " What " I say with all disrespect. "No hi Princess? " he says smirking. " What " I say again.

Suddenly I feel a hand in my hair. I slap his hand out my hair. " Come on baby, I just wanna feel your hair". Just as I was about to cuss his white ass out, a girl walks up and grabs onto his arm.

" Hey babe " she says. Maddison, otherwise known as Maddy. Average height, blonde blue eyed girl. Honestly she's pretty, I won't deny it. Ion like when people call somebody ugly just because they dont like them. If the bitch pretty ima say she pretty. Cant stand her though.

" Hey Mads " Nickolas says looking down at her. Maddy turns her head towards me and looks me up and down. " What are you doing with..that " she says.

The audacity.

Looks like ima need to pop someone, its mad early too.

" Nickolas get your girl before I get her with these hands please " I say taking a deep breath. His face turns from amusement to a serious one real quick. " She's not my girl " he says in the most serious tone possible. " Yeah whatever " I say shutting my locker and walking away.

" What do you mean I'm not your girl ? " I hear Maddy ask in the distance. I walk to my first period class, which was english. I hate, HATE, this class with a passion. 1 because the teacher, and 2 because english is hard. I walk into the class and say " Morning Mr.Todd ". The old man just looks at me and goes back to looking at his book.

Rude.

I walk to my seat, which was in the back of the class by the way. I sit down and start scrolling through tiktok. " Hey bestie " Xena says sitting down in the seat beside me. This is Xena, shes been my friend since we were freshmen. " Hey " I say setting my phone down.

" So what's tea ? " she asks taking her stuff out her book bag. " The tea is that you need to get your raggedy cousin in check before I do " I say picking my phone back up. Yea Xena is Mrs.Blonde Barbies cousin, but I trust her. She's proved that she's loyal to me. And let me tell you if I find that out she's snaking me I'll drag her ass.

" Oh my, what did she do now " She says plainly. " Go ask her " I say getting annoyed about the whole situation again.

I go back on tiktok and wait for class to begin. The bell finally rings and Me.Todd gets up from behind his desk. " Today class we will be writing a 6-10 page essay detailing who you are as a person, what you've gone through, and who you want to become" He explains.

This man must be crazy. 10 pages?! What does he take me for.

Then the door opens, and low and behold. In walks Nickolas. " You're late Mr.Francis " Mr.Todd says. "No shit Sherlock " Nickolas says taking a seat in front of me.

Great now I cant see.

Mr.Todd doesnt say anything, he just explains the assignment to Nickolas. " This is bullshit " Nickolas mumbles under his breath. " Do you have something to say Ms.James ? " Mr.Todd says turning to me.

This man ain't serious.

" Sir, that wasn't me " I say starring him dead in the eye. " Yes it was. Now please tell me what part of this assignment is bad Ms.James " He says. By now the whole class was looking at me. Including Nickolas, who was smirking.

That was my last straw. " Listen Mr.Todd, I don't know how and when I started sounding like a man, but it sure as hell wasn't today. So clean your old ass ears and continue with the damn lesson ".

 So clean your old ass ears and continue with the damn lesson "