Chapter Three

Chase was breathing heavily. He just watched Skye get struck by lightning twice in two minutes. He ran over to her and held her in his arms. "Skye," Chase said. "Come on."

Skye felt dizzy. She heard Chase's voice yell her name, but it seemed very far away. It echoed in her head over and over. She opened her eyes and noticed Chase looking at her. He had a worried face on, and he was saying something, but she couldn't make out the words. "Cha...Chase," she said before everything turned black.

"Skye!" Chase called out again, but he got no response. He put his ear against her chest and sighed in relief when he heard a heartbeat. It was slow, but the fact that there was still one was enough to give hope. He picked up Skye, put her on his back, and started to run towards Katie's clinic. With Skye on his back, he wouldn't have had the time to get them on his cruiser and drive to the clinic, so he ran the entire way.

Chase ran into the clinic so quickly he almost crashed into the sliding doors as they opened. Katie smiled as she saw him coming. "Hello, Chase," Katie said. Her smile faded when she saw that Skye was unconscious on his back. "What happened?"

"Skye got struck by lightning," Chase explained. "She passed out, so I brought her here as soon as I could." Katie pushed a patient bed over and helped Chase load Skye onto it.

"Does Ryder know?"

"I don't think so."

"I'm going to call Ryder to fill him in on what happened?"

"Is there anything I could do to help?"

Katie looked at the unconscious cockapoo. "The best thing you can do at the moment is to stay by Skye's side. If she wakes up, she will need someone to be by her side when that happens."

Chase felt like he should've been doing more, but he nodded.

Ryder had just arrived at the Lookout. He parked his ATV in the garage and walked outside, but he didn't notice Chase or Skye. Ryder walked around the Lookout but couldn't see them. He rode the elevator up to the top floor and looked through the telescope. 

Ryder noticed the purple clouds. "Huh," he said to himself. Ryder looked back through the telescope. As he watched, the clouds disappeared, some of them moving across the mountain faster than average clouds. In a matter of seconds, the sky went from cloudy to clear, as if it was never cloudy in the first place.

Ryder continued searching for Chase and Skye. He tried calling their pup tags, but they didn't answer. Ryder spotted Chase's cop cruiser at the beach. But where is Skye's helicopter? he thought to himself.

He got a call on his pup pad. "Ryder here," he said as he answered the call. He noticed Katie's worried face. "Katie, what's wrong?"

"Ryder," Katie said. "Come to the clinic quickly. Skye got struck by lightning."

"What?!" Ryder responded.

"Chase came into the clinic with Skye unconscious on his back, claiming that Skye got struck by lightning."

Ryder didn't know how to react. He was getting told that his pup got struck by lightning, and he didn't even notice. Ryder remembered that the call was still ongoing, so Ryder came out of his thoughts. "Um, okay," he said. "We'll be there as soon as possible.

He hung up the call and ran to the elevator. Ryder rode the elevator down to the first floor. When the doors opened, he ran over to where the pups were playing tag. "Come on, pups," Ryder told them.

"Where are we going?" Marshall asked. "And where are Chase and Skye?"

"They're at the clinic," Ryder explained as fast as he could. "Skye got struck by lightning."

The pups gasped. Marshall, Rubble, Zuma, and Rocky were speechless. They wanted to know the details but they knew that they would have to wait. They ran to their vehicles, started the engine, and followed Ryder to the clinic. They entered the clinic and got greeted by Katie. "Thanks for coming quickly," she told them. 

"Of course," Ryder said. "How's Skye doing?"

"She's stable," Katie responded.

"And Chase?" Rubble asked. "Where is he?"

Katie pointed to the nearest door. "He hasn't left Skye's side since he arrived. You can go in for a few minutes if you want. I'll be there in a second." Ryder thanked Katie and then led the pups into the room.

Chase was sitting to the left of the bed. Only half of the lights got turned on, so the far end of the room was dark. Skye was still unconscious, but her heartbeat and breathing were already recovering. He held Skye's paw, making sure she knew that she wasn't alone. Chase heard the door open and turned his head. He watched as the rest of the Paw Patrol spilled into the room. Ryder sat down on the seat to the right of the bed, the pups sitting on the floor around.

They all stayed quiet for a few minutes. A nurse walked into the room with a notepad and a pen in her hands. "Chase, I would like to have a description of what happened when Skye got struck."

Chase took a deep breath. He told the nurse what happened, with the others listening. Chase told them how Chase warned her about the storm, watching the first lightning bolt struck the helicopter, the helicopter crashing into the bay, and how another lightning bolt struck her when she was on the beach. He explained how the second one was powerful enough to throw Chase backward. He described the event up to the point where he entered the clinic.

When the nurse finished writing down the story, she got up, thanked Chase, and walked out. The others didn't say anything. They were too shocked to react. They were told that Skye got struck by lightning twice, not once. They wanted to believe that it was a lie, but they knew better than to think that Chase lied.

Chase kept holding Skye's unconscious paw. "Hang in there," Chase whispered into Skye's ear. "I'm here."