Chapter Thirteen

All the pups entered the elevator except for Marshall. "Wait for me," he exclaimed. He slipped on a chew toy and tumbled into the elevator upon entering the Lookout. Luckily, everyone had moved out of the way, so Marshall crashed into the back wall. The others laughed at Marshall's clumsiness as the elevator went up.

The elevator went up to the second floor long enough for the pups to change. Once they were in their uniforms, the elevator continued up to the top floor. When the elevator reached the top, the doors opened, and the pups jumped out into their positions.

"Paw Patrol, ready for action, Ryder, sir," Chase said.

"Thank you all for coming so quickly, pups," Ryder thanked. "I'm sure you all heard City Hall's bell go off a minute ago."

"Yeah, what's that all about?" Rubble asked.

"I'm not sure," Ryder replied, which surprised the pups. "But I wanted you all up here to find out." Ryder pressed a button on his pup pad. The telescope eyepiece came down, and Ryder looked through it. Everything that Ryder saw, the pups saw on the monitor screen. The Paw Patrol walked up to the giant screen to get a better view.

In the middle of City Hall's lawn, Mayor Goodway's tulip garden was in ruins. "That's strange," Ryder said. "The center of the tulip garden is burned, as if . . ."

"A lightning bolt struck it," Chase said. He and Skye looked at each other, and they both had the same thought.

Skye felt like she got punched in the gut. How is that possible, she thought. She wondered even more if someone else held the same powers. Chase was standing next to her, and the hairs on his back stood up. Skye was letting out a bit of electricity, but apparently, it didn't affect her or her fur.

Skye and Chase looked back at the screen. In the corner of the screen, a bright purple light flashed. Ryder turned the telescope to where the light had come. The City Hall's bell struck again. Standing next to the bell, Sweetie stared at the giant bell.

"What's Sweetie doing in Adventure Bay?" Marshall asked.

"I'm not sure," Ryder replied. He pulled his head away from the telescope and got closer again as if he was making sure he saw the right thing.

Sweetie sat on her hind legs and stretched her front legs forward. A purple lightning bolt shot out of her paw and hit the bell, making it resonate.

The Paw Patrol jumped as they saw it. "Woah," Zuma said. "What was that?"

Ryder, Chase, and Skye looked at each other. Chase looked at Skye, then at Ryder. Chase's face changed as if it dawned on him that Ryder knew as well.

Sweetie looked in the direction of the Lookout. She smiled wickedly, and without looking, she struck the bell again.

"What should we do?" asked Rocky.

"Let's go figure out what she wants," Ryder said.

All the pups went down the slide. Ryder pulled Chase and Skye to the side. "Chase, I'm not done repairing Skye's helicopter. Take her with you," he said, looking back and forth from both of them. His tone made the message clear. Be prepared for anything.

"Yes, sir," Chase said. They slid down the chute to Chase's vehicle.

The Paw Patrol drove down to City Hall. Ryder told Chase to close the street in front of the building to prepare if things were to go downhill.

Ryder and the pups walked towards City Hall. When Sweetie saw them get close, she flew towards them. Rubble whimpered and took a step back.

Sweetie smiled, but there was nothing warm about it. One thing was clear to Skye. Sweetie was not there in peace.

"Hello, Paw Patrol," the white terrier greeted. She said Paw Patrol like it had a bitter taste in her mouth.

"What do you want, Sweetie?" Ryder called out.

"What's I deserve," Sweetie answered.

"You will not get the crown or the throne, Sweetie," Ryder responded.

"You think I want the crown?" Sweetie asked. She laughed, which confused them. "I did want it, yes. But after I got these powers, I realized that there is more out there that we don't know about, and I'm going to rule it all. I will be the queen of the world."

"We will not allow you to do that," Chase said, stepping forward. The others agreed with him.

Sweetie looked at him. "Such confidence," she remarked. "I could use you on my side. Join me. After all, what is a queen without a king?"

Skye couldn't believe what she was hearing. Sweetie wanted to have Chase as her king. She glanced at Chase, but he seemed as confused as she was.

Chase quickly changed his attitude. "Tempting, but I will never join you. Surrender, Sweetie, or we will make you."

Sweetie sighed. "Pity," she said. "You would've made a great king. Well, I guess I will have to get rid of you along with the rest of your team."

Sweetie extended her paws to her side. Purple lightning sparked in her palms, growing larger and brighter. Skye realized what was going to happen.

"Noo!" she screamed. Out of instinct, Skye shot a pink lightning bolt at Sweetie. It hit her in the chest. Sweetie missed her targets and set some more tulips on fire.

Sweetie looked at her. "What do we have here?" she asked rhetorically. Sweetie flew closer to Skye until they were only a few feet apart. "This will be fun." Sweetie flew straight towards Skye, carrying her up. 

Skye heard the other call out her name, but she couldn't do anything. She pushed Sweetie away from her using her hind legs. Skye fell a few feet before controlling herself and flying towards Sweetie's altitude.

Sweetie had balanced herself and stared at Skye. "So you want to play?" she asked. "Then let's play."