Chapter Nineteen

Skye felt like someone had crushed her lungs. She couldn't breathe. Skye knew that the time where she would have to face the white terrier would arrive, preparing to come out on top. But now that it was that time, Skye started to doubt herself. She wondered if she had prepared enough.

Ryder looked at Chase. "Sound the alarms!" he ordered.

Chase nodded and hopped into his cop cruiser. He turned on the siren. They set the alarms to go off when Chase's siren went off. Chase drove off to the town with his megaphone ready.

"Okay," Ryder said as he looked at the pups that remained. "All of you except for Skye. I need you to stay in the control room. Rocky, log into the city's camera system so you can watch from here."

"What?!" Marshall said. "We want to help."

"No," Ryder said. "It's safer up here. If we need help, we will contact you. But for now, stay here."

"But . . ."

"That's an order," Ryder said. Skye has never heard him sound so serious about anything. Then again, this was the biggest they have ever encountered.

Marshall and the others stayed quiet with their heads down. Skye silently wanted them to be there by her side when she met Sweetie, but she understood what Ryder meant. If they were there, they could get injured or worse. Skye couldn't be worrying if her friends were safe. It would be better if they were here, out of danger's way.

"Be careful, dude," Zuma told Skye.

"Yeah, teach Sweetie who's boss," Rubble added.

Skye couldn't help smiling. She was grateful for all of them. They were her friends, and they all had her back. She was more motivated to take on Sweetie to protect everyone she loved.

"Thank you," she said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a battle to win."

Ryder drove his ATV to City Hall with Skye sitting behind him. Skye wanted to fly, but Ryder insisted on her saving her energy. They arrived in front of the white building and hopped out. The alarms were still going off, but no one was in the streets.

"Seems like the alarms worked," Ryder said as he looked around at the deserted streets.

"Evacuate the streets," Chase said through his megaphone somewhere close by. "This is not a drill. Evacuate the streets and remain inside until further notice."

That was when a purple lightning bolt hit the bell on the top of City Hall. The bell resonated loudly and echoed through the streets. The blinding light from the blast made Skye and Ryder cover their eyes. When they opened their eyes again, the lightning bolt was gone, and Sweetie was in its place.

"Hello again," she called down as if they were old friends meeting after a long time. "I have come to take what's mine."

"This city is not yours!" Skye called back. She flew up a few feet off the ground to further prove that she wasn't playing around."

Sweetie smiled wickedly at Skye. "Who's going to stop me? You?"

"If that's what it takes."

Sweetie laughed. "Just for you to end up like last time? As I said, you're just a ..." Sweetie's sentence got cut short as Skye shot a lightning bolt at her chest.

Sweetie looked down at her chest in disgust. She glared back at Skye. "I wasn't done talking!"

"You were for me," Skye replied.

Sweetie controlled her breathing. "It was a weak bolt, anyway. Let me show you how to do it."

Sweetie raised her paw in the air and then aimed at Skye. A lightning bolt twice the size of Skye's shot at her, but Skye dodged it in time. The bolt came in contact with a tree, burning a hole through the branches.

Skye flew towards Sweetie, and Sweetie did the same. Sweetie shot another bolt at Skye, who deflected it with her own. Skye fisted her paw and punched Sweetie in the stomach. Skye flew away from Sweetie as the white terrier winced in pain.

Sweetie growled at Skye. She straightened her back and extended her paws to her side. Electricity flew around her, making her glow bright purple. Skye didn't have time to cover her eyes, and she got blinded by the light. When the white spots disappeared from her sight, Sweetie punched in the jaw, sending the cockapoo upward.

Skye regained her balance as Sweetie kicked her in the gut. Skye held her stomach in pain as she watched Sweetie fly a few yards back. Sweetie put her paws together, and they glowed bright purple. Sweetie opened her eyes, and they were the same colors as her paws. She launched a lightning bolt at Skye.

Skye was able to get out of the way of the lightning bolt, but she was close enough to feel the heat off of it. She launched a bolt at Sweetie, who dodged it before it could hit her. The lightning bolt bounced off the bell and hit Sweetie in the back. With a sweet crack, Sweetie got launched forward. Skye took the opportunity to kick Sweetie in the gut.

Sweetie intercepted the attack and grabbed onto Skye's paw. Sweetie spun her and launched her away. Skye crashed into one of the tulip gardens. Skye blinked the black spot out of her eyes as a lightning bolt hit her in the chest, pushing her a foot back.

Sweetie flew closer slowly. "I told you that you can't beat me," she said. Skye tried to get up, but Sweetie hit her with another bolt to keep her down. "I could have taken this city so easily. You only made it worse for yourself."

Skye felt as if her head was spinning. I can't go out like this, she thought to herself. I have to get up. They're all depending on me. I can't let them down.

"And now," Sweetie continued, "I have to make sure that you never get in my way." Sweetie closed her eyes and put her paws together, which began to glow.

Skye realized what was going to happen. She remembered the heat from the bolt. That lightning bolt was more potent than the others. Skye tried to move, but her body felt like it weighed a hundred pounds.

Skye glanced over at Ryder. At some point, Chase had driven up next to him. Chase looked from Skye to Sweetie and back. It seemed to be dawning on him what was going to happen.

Chase knitted his eyebrows, and Skye realized what he was thinking. She opened her mouth to prevent him from doing anything, but the words seemed stuck in her throat.

Skye looked up at Sweetie. The white terrier opened her eyes, which were glowing bright purple. Small lightning bolts flew around her body. Sweetie grinned as she directed her paws towards Skye. A purple lightning bolt launched itself at the cockapoo.

Before the bolt could reach Skye, someone pushed her out of the way. Skye watched in horror as the lightning bolt hit Chase's side. Chase got launched back, breaking a white fence and crashing into a tree. He crumpled onto the ground and didn't move.

"CHASE!!"