Chapter Twenty-Two (Final)

Two days passed since Sweetie's defeat. The white terrier was halfway cleaning up the mess. Once, Skye was extremely bored, so she helped her. Skye also felt a bit responsible for all the damage. When she told Chase, he said that it was a good idea. Skye felt good after receiving Chase's approval. When the day came to an end, Sweetie did something unexpected.

"Thanks for your help," she told Skye.

Skye was shocked for multiple reasons. For one, they haven't talked since the battle. For another, they fought each other, which wasn't what friends did.

"You're welcome," Skye said.

Sweetie looked at Skye and laughed. "You're shocked, aren't you?"

"A little bit," Skye confessed. "I mean, you and I don't necessarily get along."

"Well, after losing my powers earlier today, I got a lot of time to think. I realized that they made me more violent than usual, more greedy about what I wanted."

"Oh," Skye said. That was the only thing she could think of saying. If Sweetie lost her powers, was it possible for Skye to lose hers as well? Or did she already lose them?

The sun began to set over the horizon. "I should get going," she told Sweetie. She turned around and flew back to the Lookout, which relieved her. She hadn't lost her powers yet.

Skye entered the Lookout and found everyone sitting around the television. Apollo, The Super Pup, was fighting with a giant spider on the screen. Chase looked at her and smiled. He nodded his head, implying that she should watch the movie with them. Skye almost laughed. Two days prior, Skye was fighting the biggest battle of her life, and now, things were somewhat back to normal. She walked over, sat down next to Chase, and watched the rest of the film with them. After that, Ryder sent them to their puphouses. They all said goodnight to each other and walked into their puphouses.

Skye twisted and turned in her bed. She couldn't find herself falling. Her mind was racing, thinking about everything that had happened in the last few weeks.

Finally, Skye gave up trying to sleep and walked out of her puphouse. She walked into the Lookout, taking the elevator to the top floor. Skye walked out onto the balcony and sat down. From that height, Skye could see the entire town.

Skye closed her eyes and let the wind brush her fur. She felt comfortable up there, despite the cold breeze. She heard the elevator doors open, and at first, Skye thought it was Ryder, but the figure was not human. As it got closer, Skye realized that it was a German Shepherd.

"What are you doing out here, Skye?" Chase asked.

"Just trying to fall asleep," Skye replied. "And you?"

"Same thing," Chase replied as he sat down next to her. "I saw you walk into the Lookout, and my curiosity got the best of me. Might as well have some company, right?"

"R . . .Right," Skye stuttered. She thought about her conversation with Zuma. Skye had thought about it, and it became clear to her that Skye always had feelings for the German Shepherd. Great, she thought. My best friend knew who I liked before I did.

"So, did you finish cleaning?"

"What?" Skye asked, coming back to reality.

"Did you and Sweetie finish cleaning up the city?" he repeated.

"Not yet. Sweetie still has a few tulips to put back."

"Well, thanks for helping her. Made cleaning much quicker."

Skye couldn't help but think about what Sweetie said. The powers made her wish for things more than before. She had also wanted Chase as her king. Has she always felt like that?

Skye looked at Chase. He had his eyes closed, taking in the breeze. He completely covered Skye from the wind, but whether that was on purpose, she wasn't sure. The bandage on his ribs looked new as well.

"Does that hurt?" Skye asked.

"Does what hurt?"

"Your side?"

"Oh, yeah, but only when I think about it. Marshall did a great job, and I'm healing quickly."

Skye frowned. It hurt to think that she was so close to losing him. Chase must have noticed her sorrow because he asked what was wrong.

"I thought you weren't going to get up," Skye confessed. "That lightning bolt was powerful. It would've gotten hit if it wasn't for you. I watched as you got launched backward into the tree." Skye's eyes began to water.

Chase winced like he remembered the pain. "But I'm okay, Skye, don't you see that?"

"I do, but I can't forget it."

Chase turned her body so he would be facing Skye. She did the same thing, so their noses were an inch away from each other. "Skye, I'm not going anywhere," he said. "This is my home. You are my family. I don't want you blaming yourself for what happened to me, okay?"

Skye stared into Chase's amber eyes. They reflected the moonlight so perfectly, Skye couldn't look away. She saw herself in the reflection. She leaned her head against Chase's chest and sobbed.

She couldn't hold it in anymore. She felt weak and small. She would lose her powers and return to being the smallest pup of the team. She survived this long only because she had the others behind her. She felt vulnerable.

"It's okay," Chase said. "Skye, talk to me. What's wrong?"

"I can't do it," she said.

"Do what?"

"Going back to being the weakest pup in the team, always relying on others."

"Skye, you were never the weakest pup on the team. And you proved it to me when you took on Sweetie."

"I only did it because you all gave me confidence."

"But you're the one who used it, not us. Skye, you proved to me what I always believed."

Skye looked up at him. "What's that?"

"The smallest pup can make the biggest difference. Your size doesn't matter, Skye. Neither does your strength. You're one of the bravest pups I've ever met."

"Don't say that," Skye said. "It's not true."

"Skye, I'm not lying. You're brave, clever, and always happy," Chase said. He smiled at Skye. "You're amazing, Skye, and don't let anyone ever tell you differently."

Chase had his head down to Skye's level, and her heart was beating fast. Before she could think about it, Skye moved forward, forcing her lips against his. Fireworks raced through her body. When she moved back, Chase was dumbfounded.

"What was that?" he asked.

"I don't know. I just couldn't hold back," Skye replied.

Chase got over his shock and smiled. "Well, I'm glad you didn't."

"Me too, Chase," she said.

She leaned her head over and nuzzled Chase's neck. Chase did the same thing. They put their foreheads together, noses touching.

"I love you, Skye," Chase said. "I've always had."

"I love you too, Chase," Skye said. They sat down, and Skye leaned her head against Chase's shoulder, and he rested his head on hers. 

Skye felt as the pink lightning powers left her body, but she didn't care. The night was cold and dark. But to Skye, it was the best night ever.

***Author's Note***
Hey everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for reading my story. Special thanks to GDTrey for lending me his story. I hope you enjoyed how your story turned out. And as always, I'd like to hear your opinions. So, on a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate my story? Until next time, thank you, and have a great day.