Chapter Sixteen

Skye woke up the following morning at the sound of Chase's voice. "Wake up, Skye," he said. "Time to eat."

"Okay," she said. She yawned and stretched before leaving her puphouse. She and Chase walked together to the door. "Let's go eat."

"You go ahead," Chase said. "I still have to wake up the others."

"Oh, okay," Skye said. She walked inside, and Chase continued walking forward.

Ryder was setting down the last two plates as she walked into the Lookout. One by one, the other pups walked in. Once they all entered the room, they ate their breakfast.

"How did you pups sleep?" Ryder asked as he ate his cereal.

"Good," they all answered.

"That's good," Ryder said. "Since there aren't any missions, what are you guys going to do today?"

"I'm going on a patrol after breakfast," Chase replied.

"Can I go with you?" Marshall asked.

"Sure, why not?" Chase replied. The two brothers fist-bumped each other.

"And the rest of you?" Ryder asked.

"I think I'm going to practice my new powers," Skye said.

"What if we help you?" Zuma asked.

"Yeah," Rubble added. "We may not know about your powers, but we still like to help any way we can."

"Besides, you need the most practice before Sweetie comes again."

"Um," Skye said. She looked at Chase, and he nodded. She remembered what Chase told her that night. Skye was part of the Paw Patrol, and they were there for her no matter what. "Yeah, I guess I could use some help."

"Alright," Ryder said as he stood up. "Seems the day's planned. I will be in the garage fixing Skye's helicopter. Rocky, want to help me?"

"Sure," the mixed breed said as they all went their separate ways.

The first one to help Skye was Zuma. He took her to the beach, where they went surfing. Skye was confused about how it would help her, but she went along.

She was glad to be able to spend some time with Zuma. Zuma was the pup Skye felt closest to besides Chase. Ever since they first met, they instantly became best friends. They liked the same things and enjoyed the same activities. They even found out about the merpups and Puplantis together. Zuma has helped her a lot to be the pup she was.

For the first thirty minutes of surfing, they didn't say anything to each other. They just rode the waves and enjoyed the day. But after a while, Skye began to wonder if they were there to practice.

Skye waited until they rested on still waters until she led her surfboard next to the chocolate lab. "Hey, Zuma," she said. "I thought you were going to help me practice controlling my powers."

"What? You don't want to hang out with your best friend anymore?" Zuma asked

"No, I mean, yes, I mean . . ."

Zuma laughed. "I'm joking, dude. But this is the training."

"But we're surfing," Skye said.

"Yeah, we are," Zuma said. "But in surfing, you have to learn control and balance." Zuma and Skye watched as a perfect surfing wave formed. "Follow me," he said as they swam to the tide. When they were on top of it, Zuma continued. "While surfing, you have to learn to control and balance the board. You have to consider the wind, the power of the waves, among other things. You have to balance the board, or you will tip over and fall into the water."

On the second wave, the water curled, creating a tube that Zuma and Skye surfed through. "You also have to be cautious of your surroundings," Zuma yelled over the sound of the wave. "You have to know where you can fit, where it's safe, where it's not, and the best place to be. Finding the right moment to get out of the tube is understanding when the opening is. Too early or too late, you get swept away by water."

Skye looked forward towards the opening of the tube. "So, like right now," she said as they exited the water barrel. As they made it out, the wave collapsed on itself, and the bay was peaceful once more.

"Exactly like that," Zuma said as he paddled his surfboard next to Skye. "Up top, dude." He raised his paw, and Skye gave him a high-five. Zuma looked towards the water as another wave formed. "Come on, let's hit another one.". They spent another hour surfing together. Not just for training, but fun as best friends.