Back to the Wild

To say that it was an ambush would be an understatement. It almost made Jordan wish she never met up with any people in this world. The two factions were silent up until the moment that Jordan and the other left the tent. It was a sea of green and orange, split directly in the center. The green side held signs that promoted the idea that pokémon weren't intentionally attacking humans, and the orange side had signs that said to kill all pokémon.

Silence turned into shouting as soon as the first few people laid their eyes on Gardenia.

"Gardenia!"

"We've waited long enough! You need to give us an answer!"

"Pick a side!"

"Yeah! Pokémon will go back to normal soon! We shouldn't be treating them like it's killed or be killed!"

"You idiot! If we don't do anything, pokémon will come after us first!"

This looks like too much to deal with. Jordan tried to make her escape, but there were people all around them. No way to get out without someone noticing, which was something Jordan absolutely despised.

"I think we might be stuck here until they leave," whispered Axel.

"I think you might be right."

"You guys are really just going to sit here and wait until they leave?" Sasha had joined their little huddle. "What about everything we were planning to do?"

"There's no point if they're blocking our way."

"What she said."

"So we're just stuck here until Gardenia says something?"

"As much as I hate it, yeah." Jordan sighed and started fiddling with her bowstring. She wanted to get out of there and do something else instead.

"Everyone!" Gardenia held her hands up, and the crowd began to quiet. "I know you both have very different views, but in times like these we all need to work together!"

Jordan turned her attention back to Gardenia. Looks like she's trying to go the peaceful route.

"Theres no reason to keep fighting over some differing opinions," continued Gardenia. "you both see this world in different ways, but isn't cooperation the best way to continue forward? Whether we like it or not, pokémon are more violent towards us, and we need to protect ourselves. That does not mean we need to go out there and kill every single one of them—they might end up coming back to their senses eventually

"Well that's a political response," mused Jordan.

"Yeah," said Axel, "it kinda makes it seem like they're both right."

"Did this just turn into some kind of press conference?" Sasha sighed. "Why is it so hard just to agree to disagree?"

"That's 'cause people are stupid." Axel sighed and sat down. "This might take a while, so we should get comfortable."

Jordan looked back at the crowd, just in time to see someone pointing at her, Axel, and Sasha.

"So why are those guys here?"

"They came down from Snowpoint."

"So you're allowing even more people to enter when we don't know their intentions? Are we going to get even less rations because you decide to keep inviting people here?"

"I assure you that we have enough food," said Gardenia. "A few people, namely children and those who cannot survive in Snowpoint's harsh cold will come here for a few months."