XIX

Comfort In Each Other

======================================

It's alright as long as I have you.

======================================

Later on in the afternoon, y/n came back home even more stressed than usual. She decided to take a breather on a nearby hill before descending into the ravine.

Her mind was keeping her busy all day. Y/n couldn't stop thinking about Wilbur's plan. It ate at her. What was he thinking? Why did he need Dream's help? Who could he hurt? Y/n wanted to know everything. She needed closure.

Y/n took a deep breath in and exhaled slowly. She thought it would be better if she could take some time to think of nothing instead. So she stared over the vast green forest and Manberg in the distance.

She let the soft breeze touch her skin and ruffle her clothing. The sun was near its peak, getting ready to fall and concede to the night sky. But for now, the blue sky was all the eye could see hovering over green leaves. Hills and hills of shrubbery and animals were all that divided her and the tall buildings that made up a land she once called home.

The distance soon became all she could think about. Yes, she did miss it but y/n was caught off guard at how familiar this distance was. It was well known how her position didn't leave room for her to admire what the land was, but how much room did she leave for this distance to be normal?

Techno spotted her h/c hair flowing between the trees before heading off to his base. He took in the scene before him. Y/n was sitting, legs stretched out in front of her, on the top of a hill. Her hair followed the slight breeze while her e/c eyes gazed towards Manberg.

The pinkette smiled at the sight of her. His heart pounded through his chest. A small smile snuck its way onto his lips without him noticing.

Talk to her...

A whisper popped into his head, repeating itself until Techno responded.

"I can't talk to her, she probably needs space," Techno whispered to himself.

She needs a friend...

"She's probably upset! She needs time to herself," he argued with himself. However, the whispers didn't back down. They repeated themselves over and over, getting louder and louder.

"Fine," Techno grumbled.

He walked towards the woman, treading lightly on the grass surrounding them.

Techno cleared his throat from behind y/n. "So, how's the view?"

Y/n turned her head to find the pinkette scratching the back of his neck. "It's nice, I just wish Manberg was prettier," she said while turning back to the view.

Techno sat beside her and looked for himself. "It is rather ugly."

y/n let out a small laugh and the two sat in comfortable silence for a while.

"You know," y/n spoke up," sometimes I used to look at Manberg, L'manberg at the time, and think about if I didn't take part in this all. Would the timeline stay the same or would it change drastically? Would they all go through the same suffering?"

"Whatever that timeline looks like, it's probably pretty boring. For me at least."

Y/n's eyes grew wide. The thought of Techno enjoying her presence was an achievement she never thought she'd accomplish.

"Why's that?"

"It's hard to picture what it would be like without you, I guess," Techno said while awkwardly fiddling with his fingers.

"You're just saying that," Y/n lightly tapped his arm with her elbow.

"No really though. It's nice to have a comrade."

"A comrade huh?" Y/n glanced over at Techno with an eyebrow lifted.

"What? Would you rather be referred to as something else? How about, imbecile or space cadet?" Techno joked.

"Goodness no. Comrade is good enough," she chuckled and looked back.

But what if it isn't enough?

A disappointed look spread throughout Techno's face. The voices could have never been more accurate at this moment. Techno never considered how he actually felt about the woman and the voices were getting sick of him holding it in. Being comrades wasn't enough. He wanted to help ease her pain, understand her emotions, and see her smile. Y/n's smile faded when she saw the frown he wore.

"Hey... you doing okay?" Y/n asked.

"It's nothing," Techno brushed off his feelings.

The woman let out a small smile. "You know, confiding in people is a big game of trust. And trust is a two-way street that takes a while to cross. You're bound to meet at some point down the street. But it's where you meet that matters most." Y/n brought her knees to her chest and hugged them. "Halfway... that's where you want to meet them."

Techno looked at her surprised. Did she just give him advice? The pinkette shifted his position on the hill.

"What's with all the philosophy talk? I'm doing completely fine," he scoffed.

"Whatever you say, big man," y/n stood up with a smile.

"You hang out with Tommy too much," Techno followed suit.

"What? He's funny!"

Techno looked at her with a blank face.

"Okay, he's funny sometimes. Some of his jokes may not land the right way, but he's doing his best," Y/n giggled.

"Are you busy right now?" Techno asked.

"I just have to report back to Wilbur, but if I'm going to be honest I don't wanna go down there," y/n sighed.

"Why don't you tag along with me for a bit then? I need to transport some items to my base."

"You're base?"

"Don't get too excited. It's not that impressive, yet"

"Then what are you waiting for? Let's go!" 

======================================

938 words

======================================