Prologue: News Told, Rumours Heard

"I get this feelin' I may know you as a lover and a friend.
This voice keeps whisperin' in my other ear, tells me I may never see you again." 
Peaceful Easy Feeling - The Eagles

____________

"Here comes Barnes, he's looking at securing his seventh race win this series if he keeps up this spectacular performance. Stark and Gold really hit the jackpot with this young driver."

"Don't speak too soon. Rogers is right on his ass!"

"It's the last lap. If Rogers is smart he'll hold back and let his teammate have this win. There's no way he'll overtake Barnes now."

"Well, we're about to find out as these front runners hit the last stretch of track."

"Oh shit, Rumlow has just sped down the backstretch. He's neck and neck with Barnes now as they approach the finish line."

"He's just clipped Barnes with quite some force there and skidded himself across the grass, I'm not sure if he'll be able to get his car back in control...  oh God, this does not look good."

"Barnes' car has flipped with the impact and gone crashing into the barrier. It looks pretty bad from here, folks. And it appears that the hood of his Dodge Charger Daytona is smoking."

"Race has been called. Rogers took pole position after the crash, I'm sure that victory will be bittersweet for him now. No sign of Barnes exiting his vehicle as first responders now make their way onto the track."

"Team owners Stark and Gold are on their way over and it looks like little Adeline Gold is with them. Not so little anymore though is she?"

"Not at all, the whole NASCAR community has watched her grow up into a beauty of a young woman. Oh, they seem to be assessing the crash on the track now. We'll keep updating you as the situation unfolds."

🏁 🏁 🏁

Daily Bugle
May 11th, 1975

NASCAR GOLDEN BOY INVOLVED IN HORROR CRASH
By J. Jonah Jameson

Yesterday, May. 10, the world watched on as James 'Bucky' Barnes careered into the barrier during the Music City 420 at Nashville Speedway. The crash occurred when rival driver, Brock Rumlow, clipped the tail of Barnes' car on the last lap of the race.

Barnes, 30, who hails from Brooklyn, NY, has been racing professionally since he was 25 years old and had just signed to Stark & Gold Racing prior to this NASCAR Cup Series. He has quickly become one of the country's top drivers and had big things ahead of him.

Barnes was cut from his black and gold Dodge Charger Daytona by emergency crews and was quickly stretchered to the waiting ambulance. The extent of his injuries is unknown at this time.

Witnesses claim Adeline Gold, daughter of team co-owner Michael, accompanied Barnes in the back of the ambulance and was clearly visibly distressed.

One said: "We all heard her scream. Her father and Stark were trying to calm her down and hold her back but she kept trying to get to Bucky."

Rumours of a romance between the two have been circulating for months now, is this the proof we've all been eagerly waiting for?

Full story on page 5.