Part Ten: Head In The Clouds, Heart On Your Sleeve

A/N: It's Bucky's party and he'll get high if he wants to

A/N: It's Bucky's party and he'll get high if he wants to. Also, I think this is the longest chapter yet! Don't forget to vote and leave lots of comments and thank you for reading!

Content warnings: drug use and a brief mention of harassment in conversation about scumbag Rumlow.

____________

Life can be short or long
Love can be right or wrong
And if I chose the one I'd like to help me through
I'd like to make it with you
Make It With You - Bread
___________

Rockingham, North Carolina
March 8th 1975

"Addie, this is insane!"

Steve is dancing up to her. He's definitely on his third or fourth drink already despite only being an hour into the party and his dance moves are highly questionable. Adeline eyes him warily as he stumbles over his own feet and hands her the Harvey Wallbanger that she asked for twenty minutes ago. He got distracted but she'll let it slide.

"Thank you, Stevie." She beams at him, both for the drink and the compliment on her party planning efforts.

"Where's Buck?" He asks, moving to stand beside her. She looks around with him, her gaze landing on Bucky after a few seconds. He's stood to the side, talking enthusiastically with his parents. He catches Adeline's eye briefly, face breaking out into a bright grin, complete with nose scrunch.

Adeline points him out to Steve just as Natasha joins them. She dips her head to speak into Adeline's ear.

"He looks so happy."

Adeline nods. That's all she wants. This is Bucky's night. She's watched him greet racing friends and mingle, sharing secret looks with her every so often. That, mixed with the cocktails she's been drinking is enough to make her head feel fuzzy.

It reminds her of when she would see him at NASCAR events before. He would always be working the room, infectious smile on his face and then he would meet her gaze, the smile softening and she felt like her world shifted every time. She never worked up the courage to speak to him but his smile wouldn't leave her mind for days after. She would look out for him at the speedways but the Hydra Motorsports garage was always furthest away. And by that point, she was actively avoiding Rumlow.

"Addie?" A petite brunette joins their group, blue eyes that hold the same sparkle as Bucky's.

"Becca! Hi!"

Adeline hugs Bucky's sister like she's known her forever. When she finally bucked up the courage to call and invite his family down to Carolina, they hit it off immediately. Their phone conversation very quickly going from Bucky's party to their mutual love of Mick Jagger. Neither of them remembers how they got into that topic.