Part Twenty: You Can Let It Go

A/N: Long time, no see

A/N: Long time, no see. Sorry this story took forever for me to update! I hope this chapter makes up for it though bc it is packed by my standards.

Warnings: oral sex (f & m receiving - there was gonna be more smut but I ran out of steam lol), mentions of Rumlow, a crappy parent and a panic attack.

Please vote and comment!

__________

And as I go through my life
I will give to her, my wife
All the sweet things I can find
Diary - Bread
____________

Gold Family Ranch, Georgia
August 5th 1975

"Marry me, sweet girl?"

Bucky's eyes have never looked more blue as they nervously flit over Adeline's face. His Adam's apple bobs as he gulps. It's loud in the heavy silence of the bedroom and her gaze falls from his eyes to his throat to the ring box in his hand. For once, all she feels is peace. Adeline has never felt safer and more loved than she does with Bucky.

He's the one thing in her life that always makes sense when everything else is so up in the air.

He made sense when they didn't even know each other but somehow, her gaze always found his across a crowded room. He made sense when he turned up on her doorstep all those months ago and something between them shifted, clicked into place. Bucky Barnes is her future. She's known since the beginning that their souls are tied together in ways she didn't even realise were possible.

And so, it's the easiest decision she's ever had to make.

"Yes."

"Y-yes?"

Did he think she was going to say no?

"Yes, Bucky. I'll marry y—"

Adeline's words are lost as Bucky's lips meet hers in a bruising kiss, slightly chapped and still tasting of beer and birthday cake. He nips and sucks at her lips between sweet pecks and slow sweeps of his tongue as if he doesn't quite know how he wants to kiss her, but as long as he is then that's just fine. The ring is discarded somewhere on the bed as he cradles her jaw in his right hand. Adeline leans into him. She wants to be in his space, all-encompassing, as close as she can be to the man who looks at her like she's the eighth wonder of the world. Like she's the stars and the moon and the sun all at once.

Her fingers dance over his bicep, up his neck and through his hair. Bucky shivers, groaning as she catches his lip in her teeth. He whispers her name and "my girl forever" between kisses and Adeline swears she could melt. She wants to remember this feeling for the rest of her life.

"Fuck- wait! Shit."

"What? What is it?" Adeline panics, her eyes darting over his left arm as Bucky runs his other hand through his hair, pulling at the ends.