Part Eleven: Muscle Memory

A/N: There's a little time jump to the next race half way through this chapter

A/N: There's a little time jump to the next race half way through this chapter. I'm trying to figure out the pacing as I go. We'll see how that works out. Enjoy!

Content warnings: big chunk of smut compared to what I usually write, oral sex (female receiving), some light soft dom Bucky (I never really know what qualifies as that really but we'll go with it.)

___________

I wanna be your lover
I wanna be the only one that makes you come running
I wanna be your lover
I wanna turn you on, turn you out
All night long, make you shout
Oh, lover, yeah
I wanna be the only one you come for
I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince

__________

Rockingham, North Carolina
March 9th 1975

Adeline knows Bucky loves her. It's evident in the little things. The mini hotel room breakfast buffets he puts together while she's sound asleep and the way he'll wash her hair in the shower. Almost too softly, afraid he'll accidentally pull it and hurt her. He tells her with the way he kisses her. The slow, deliberate kisses that take her breath away and he tells her with the way he literally can't say no when she pulls out the cute pout and puppy dog eyes.

But hearing him say it.

Hearing the words fall from his lips, pink and plump after sleep. It rolls off his tongue in such a sweet, sleepy tone. Adeline wants his voice to sound like that every time he says it. And he says it so confidently. He's so sure about his love and the moment the words are in the air, Adeline's world grinds to a halt. Time is suspended and her throat runs so dry that she'll struggle to say anything even if she wants to.

Bucky's hair is fluffy and dishevelled as he stares at her with big, brilliant blue eyes and everything around her falls away. It's just her and Bucky. Almost thirty-year-old Bucky who's in nothing but a sweater with a stupid smiley penis on it. Which is such a ridiculous notion but somehow seems so right. As a couple, they're playful and immature amongst the quiet moments and serious conversations. Adeline used to think relationships like that were impossible to maintain. That each person needs to be the polar opposite to balance the other out, but she and Bucky just work. So fucking well that it scares her sometimes. He looks so soft and boyish as he waits and Adeline sees him gulp, Adam's apple bobbing in his throat.

It's been a hot minute since he spoke. They've just been sitting in silence while Adeline rattles off a monologue in her head. She's overthinking it. How to say it back, of all things. Which she realises is stupid but her brain can't stop ticking back and forth. Does she just say I love you too? Or does she tell him that she's in love with him? She's never done this before, never had such overwhelming feelings of love until Bucky. She feels like she's eaten too much candy, the moment is so sweet and delicious but she can feel the sugar rush that leads to the inevitable crash, the nausea swirling around in her belly.