Part Three: Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust

A/N: Bucky's POV this chapter and there's some ridiculously light smut at the end. Like making out in a car with some over/under the clothes stuff but nothing too detailed. Enjoy!

____________

"You just slip out the back, Jack.
Make a new plan, Stan.
You don't need to be coy, Roy.
Just get yourself free."
50 Ways to Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon
____________

Beverly Hills, California
Christmas Eve, 1974

12 Hours Earlier

Bucky hates Christmas in California.

The heat of the mid-afternoon sun is only just made comfortable by the soft breeze that's rustling through the palm trees above him. He misses the snow and the cosiness of being wrapped up by the fireplace in his parents' Brooklyn brownstone. Home comforts that he hasn't indulged in for a long time.

His parents, George and Winnie, are in the Bahamas for two weeks with his sister Rebecca and Bucky wishes he had just stayed in New York by himself. He went back briefly after signing the contract with Stark & Gold. His family did a small gift exchange and went out for lunch at their favourite restaurant and then he caught a flight back out to LA the next day. He regretted it the minute he stepped onto the plane.

He's trying to do the right thing. The good thing. Because he's not in love with Dot anymore but the least he owes her is a half decent Christmas before he inevitably breaks her heart. Although, as he stands on the front step of her parents' Los Angeles home, he feels the sinking feeling of dread in the depths of his stomach.

Bucky and Dot grew up together in Brooklyn. Two houses apart, same classes at school, invited to every family event. The usual. Oh and also, wedding planned, kids names picked out and a house ready to be inherited. So you know, the usual.

But, she was the girl next door. The fiery redhead who had everyone vying for her attention and for the longest time, Bucky felt like the cat that got the cream because his future with her was pretty much set in stone.

Granted, it's always been Dot's parents, Jack and Loretta, who continue to push the marriage and kids agenda. His parents are a little more laid back, they support his career choices and show up for him and his sister more than the siblings could ever hope for. It's something Bucky is and always will be extremely grateful for.

"Stop fidgeting." Dot hisses beside him.

He glances at her briefly, his eyes trailing over her as he takes in the hairdo she took forever to perfect. It's an over styled beehive that makes her look older than her 29 years and exactly like her mother. Unfortunately, her efforts in beauty don't hide the fact that even her voice grates on him now.

Was it always that high pitched?

He hops from one foot to the other, getting impatient as they wait for someone to answer the door.

"For fuck sake, James. Just stay still."

Bucky sneakily flips her off and sighs. Looking to the sky, he says a silent prayer and hopes for a fucking Christmas miracle. It appears his pleas go unanswered as Loretta Jones answers the door.

"Dotty! James! Come in, come in."

Bucky plasters on a smile and Dot gives him a light shove to make him move.