Part Fifteen: And All At Once

A/N: We've made it to what I'm considering the halfway point of this story

A/N: We've made it to what I'm considering the halfway point of this story. Thank you for sticking with me so far! This chapter is heavy and drama-filled but one I've been excited to write from the beginning and I can't wait to get stuck into the second half of Bucky and Adeline's journey!

Content warnings: mentions of sexual assault and gross men, assault/attempted sexual assault (I don't go into too much detail but Rumlow is just downright evil in this), mentions of blood and violence, a car crash (I decided to write this from Adeline's POV so it's not overly detailed, just what she sees.) There are also some very sweet moments between Bucky and Adeline, I promise.

____________

If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day 'til eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you

If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true
I'd save every day like a treasure, and then
Again, I would spend them with you
Time In A Bottle - Jim Croce

____________

Nashville Speedway, Tennessee
May 10th 1975

Something just isn't sitting right with her as they step out into the speedway grounds. They've managed to avoid Rumlow for the past month. And there's been no sign of Dot since Bucky saw her the last time they were in Tennessee back in March. If she's been at races with Rumlow, she's not made herself known.

At each race through April, Adeline has sat in the stands, accompanied by either Bucky's parents, Rebecca or Peter if he's around. She feels like her freedom has been stripped from her through fear of confrontation.

Bucky broke his winning streak after North Carolina. He came second and fourth in the Rebel 500 and Virginia 500. And he only just won last week in Alabama, by the skin of his teeth.

They're both stuck in their heads and constantly on edge.

Adeline knows jealousy is at the root of Rumlow's sick agenda, whatever it is. Before she got with Bucky, he would leave her alone to some extent. There would be the odd passing comment and grossly lingering looks but Adeline dealt with that, could ignore it for the most part. Something changed the moment he realised, somewhere in his twisted brain, that he'd lost her to Bucky. His threat echos in the forefront of her mind every time she finds herself alone, even if just for a second.

I'm not done with you, Adeline.

And now she has a feeling in her gut. A twisty, strangling hold on her intuition that won't ease up no matter how much Bucky tries his best to reassure her. She feels like Rumlow has been trying to lull them into a false sense of security and sometimes she slips, falls for the calm. But then she'll see something out of the corner of her eye and her back is up again.