Part Twenty-Three: Sweet November

A/N: 3 days in November

A/N: 3 days in November. I haven't proof read properly but I wanted to get this up tonight so as per, there will probably be some edits tomorrow. 3 parts to go!

No warnings this chapter, it's a lot of fluff.

Please vote and comment on the chapter, it's so nice to see your thoughts and really helps motivate me to write!

____________

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose
And most times you choose between the two
Oh, wondering, wondering
if you have made it
But I'll have some kids and make my plans
And I'll watch the seasons running away
And I'll build me a life in the open,
a life in the country
Sweet Seasons - Carole King

____________

Gold Family Ranch, Georgia
November 4th 1975

"46.52," Adeline calls, holding up the stopwatch as Bucky and Peter climb out of the car and pull off their helmets.

"Fuck," Peter sighs, "that's worse than the last one."

Bucky comes to a stop beside the young driver, claps him on the shoulder with a smile of reassurance.

"The average lap at Daytona is 45 seconds. You're nearly there, bud."

"Not close enough. I want to qualify, Bucky. Can we go again?"

"Sure," Bucky replies, "go through the starting line checks, I'll be over in a sec."

The two of them watch as Peter trudges back to the car and Adeline threads her fingers through Bucky's, feels him squeeze back gently.

"You reckon he'll make it?"

"Kid's good," Bucky says with a shrug, "he's braking on the bends a little too heavily, back of the car pulls. That's what's slowing him down."

"He's got the drive, though. Like you. Wants to qualify but won't take anything but first place."

"He'll qualify." Bucky seems sure about it. And honestly, so is Adeline. She's been watching Peter's progress over the past few months. He's getting cleaner, more precise with his driving decisions. In control of the car for the most part.

It makes her miss watching Bucky drive, miss the beaming smile on his face when he'd find her after the podium. The way he'd kiss her like it's the only thing he's thought about for the past two hundred laps.

"What about you? How're you doing?" She asks quietly. Bucky wraps his arms around her, using both of them with so much ease now that Adeline's breath catches every time he does it, half expecting him to wince in pain.