Chapter 50

Author's Note: This chapter contains the side of his majesty, Emperor Zhang Wei.
Enjoy reading!

The Wolf King and I
Chapter 50

I knew it all along...

"He dared to send me this thing as a threat." I remembered those words I'd spoken to you from the moment we first met.

...that you're the one that I've waited for so long.

Silently cursing under my breath and grasping a bloody sword in my hand, my whole world was shaken up from what I saw.

I looked into your eyes and I could not help but wonder how someone's eyes can be this clear, devoid of any contempt and greed.

All my life, I've lived in the shadows of the people who cursed my existence. The misery and the sufferings that I have to endure taught me to become greedy in the most wretched way. From a young age, I've come to realize that if I can't have power in my hands, people will continue to take everything that's important to me. And so, to gain power, I've mastered how to harden my heart and how to lose my soul.

This stench of blood in my hands won't go away and its getting worse as the days pass by.

At first, I've never felt any sympathy when it comes to playing with everyone's lives. I thought that everyone is living like me, and the way I'm living this hell is only normal in the eyes of others. I love to finger-paint using the blood of my enemies and design the walls of my kingdom with the heads of the people who upset me in any way. I formed this talent of art in life that I unknowingly nurtured with pain and betrayals.

Human beings or not, everyone is nothing but only a piece of pawn in this game that I've created, ready to be discarded anytime I want.

Even the devil himself will envy the way I've lived this meaningless life until now.

I was living a miserable life with no goal other than to remain in power and conquer lands whenever it was convenient for me.

But then, you came.

You effortlessly broke the walls that I've painfully built for years, and I was completely terrified of your existence.

In your eyes, I saw that the life that I've come to know is a pointless one, devoid of any reason but to stain these hands of mine with blood. Your existence made me question a lot of things about how I've lived my life until now.

From the moment I met you, my world went into shambles and now I can't put the pieces back together without its missing piece. You.

You're like a puzzle I can't answer. An oath I'm willing to die for. A sword I can't forge. Chin, before I even realized it, you became someone I can't live without.

Your bright eyes that are always shining.

Your face is so innocent.

Your smile that could melt even the hardest stones.

And your gaze that always warms my cold heart.

Everything about you is so new to me that I can't believe that someone like you truly exists.

At first, I was only curious.

"I know that old fart is only waiting for you to die in my palace for him to have a reason to send his troops..."

And then I was angry.

"I'd rather die here with you than run away! I will never leave you! I promise!"