6. Rogue

*Unedited*

"Mama!" A little voice shrieked the second I stepped into my friend's living room. My eyes instantly went to the cute toddler who was sitting on the rug, in front of a piece of paper filled with violent and colourful scribbles. I can see that he got carried away with his art on the white rug. 

Collin pushed himself up from the ground, disregarding his drawing and ran, stumbling toward me before I could take a step. He hugged my legs tightly for a second, then clapped his tiny hands excitedly. His blue eyes that he inherited from his father sparkled with mirth. He lifted his chubby arms, opening and closing his palms which indicated that he wanted to be picked up.

I immediately complied with his demands and showered him with kisses, causing him to giggle hysterically.  "Hi baby," I cooed, smoothing his wild and messy hair. "I missed you."

He snuggled into my neck, mumbling incoherently. 

"Aww," Harley said from behind me. "You two are absolutely adorable."

I turned to face my friend. Her dirty blond hair was pulled into a loose ponytail and she was wearing a pretty, yellow sundress.  "Thank you for watching him for me. I owe you one," I said rubbing circles on Collin's back.

She shook her head like my words were absurd. "No, you don't. I am forever in your debt. You saved my life. The least I could do is look after your boy," She drawled in her southern accent.

"Thank you anyway," I spoke sincerely, smiling at her.

"Don't mention it," She waved her hand. "Now, tell me if you met any hot bikers." 

I gave her a pointed look and she raised her hand in mock surrender. I rolled my eyes, "I didn't pay enough attention. The president is a butt, though," I said, careful not to say any bad words around Collin, "If you're into that..."

She nudged me playfully before plopping down on her couch, folding her legs.

She has been through a lot in her life and I am just happy she didn't let that bring her down. Instead, she got stronger and persevered.

My attention shifted to Collin when he yawned. I kissed his head.

"We should go now," I told her before walking to pick up the bag I left with her that was filled with Collin's stuff.

"Wait," She said softly, noticing my son's closed eyes. "Why don't you stay here for the night?"

I smiled at her in gratitude. "Thank you but I don't have any clothes here and I don't want to be a bother."

Harley got up from the couch and walked toward me, placing her hand on my shoulder. "You aren't a bother, at all and you can borrow something to wear from me, we're about the same size. Please, it's getting dark and it's statistically proven that more accidents occur at night. I would sleep better knowing you two are safe. I have an extra bedroom you and Collin can stay in for the night," She said, pleading with me.

I sighed, nodding at her. "Okay, I appreciate it," I told her, bouncing Collin lightly when I felt him stir.

She waved me off before beckoning me to follow her. I walked behind her as she led me through her house. Harley stopped in front of a cream coloured door and opened it. She gestured for me to enter.

"I'll be back in a minute," She said before leaving the room.

I placed Collin's bag on the floor and sat down on the bed with him still in my arms. Thankfully, I am always prepared for anything so I have a toothbrush for him, his baby soap and clothes in his bag.

I gently pat his back, running my other hand through his hair. "Baby," I cooed in his ear. He grumbled with his eyes closed and swatted the air.

I chuckled. "Come on baby, you can go back to sleep after your bath."

I awed at the little pout he had on his face. Collin rubbed his eyes before opening them completely. "froggy?" He asked with a small smile. I nodded and kissed his head. His favourite bath toy is a cute little rubber frog that sprays out water and squeaks.

"Stooop," Harley groaned. She was leaning against the wall. "You're giving me baby fever. I can't handle all the cuteness," She said, dramatically placing her hand on her head. Collin giggled as she made a funny face. 

I watched in amusement. "Well, you could always make your own," I teased. 

She scrunched her nose, narrowing her eyes. "Um, no thank you. I have sworn off men."

I tilted my head and sighed. "You don't need a man to have a child," I said. "You know what I mean," I added when she shot me a look, "There are so many options; adoption or you can get a sperm donor."

She huffed a breath, "I know but I just..." She trailed, averting her eyes. "I'm afraid."

"You have nothing to be afraid of," I said smiling. I already know what she is talking about. We've had this conversation many times before. "You are an amazing person and great aunt to Collin. I have no doubt in my mind that you will be the best mother to your child."

She looked at me, her lips lifting. "Thank you. You always know what to say," She said, "I'm going to bake a cake now." Harley got up, kissed my cheek and left the room before I could say anything.

I shook my head, grinning. Baking is her way of releasing her stress and getting rid of insecurities. A very delicious way to cope too.

I bent my head to look at Collin who was slowly falling back asleep. I tickled his stomach and smiled as I hear him laugh. "Come on little guy, let's give you a bath."