9. Rogue

*Unedited*

"What are the conditions?" I asked, breaking the silence.

I narrowed my eyes when I saw my father look away, nervously tapping his fingers on the table. He seemed to be trying to buy time as he scratched his bearded chin. He cleared his throat, "You know, I can use a drink after all," He said before signalling Helena.

"Dad," I said firmly when a waitress placed a bottle of water in front of him, "Stop stalling and just tell me."

He picked up the bottle, taking a huge gulp before placing it down slowly. He sighed and rubbed his face with his hand. "Riley," He started, looking at the table, "Pyros said that if you live at the clubhouse you have to be accompanied at all times when you are out."

I scowled and raised an eyebrow. He saw the expression on my face and hurriedly added, "It's only until he trusts you. I'm sure it wouldn't be for too long."

"Sure," I scoffed. "Is there anything else?" I asked. It was more on the sarcastic side but it was apparent my father did not catch the tone because he continued. "He said that a background check would be done on you."

"Ah, so not only would I have no more privacy but anything I would like to remain in the past will be dug up."

"It's only to see if you have a criminal record," He said softly.

I rolled my eyes at how simply he said it. "Dad, I know that Pyros wants to ensure that his club is safe, I admire that, but I do not want to be followed around," I told him. "He can do a background check on me, but that's it."

Honestly, if Pyros does a background check on me, he won't find anything out of the ordinary. It would be like any other person. I have Shawn to thank for that. 

My father sighed, combing his hand through Collin's hair. "I'll let him know but Riley, please think about it." He pleaded.

I nodded, giving him a little smile to let him know that I will consider being tailed by one of Pyros' men.

He let out a breath of relief. "Thank you, sweetheart."

I checked the time on my phone, realising it was already 3 PM. "It was nice talking to you, dad," I said, gazing at my sleeping son, "We should leave."

My father frowned but agreed, nonetheless. He kissed Collin on his head. We stood up and I outstretched my hand to take Collin from him. My son let out a cute groan as he was transferred to me. He wrapped his arms around my neck, burying his face in my shoulder.

I gently rubbed his back, cooing at him.

I shifted my attention to my dad when I heard him sniff. Keeping an arm securely around Collin, I plucked a napkin from the table and handed it to my father. He muttered a thanks and wiped his eyes.

Helena approached us, holding a brown paper bag and what I presumed was the cheque. She gave them to my father when he extended his hand. He took out his wallet and handed her definitely more than was on the bill. 

She looked at the money and snared, rolling her eyes before plucking it out of hand. She turned to me and her expression changed drastically, "I'm glad you found your way back to your dad, hun," She smiled, rubbing my arm. "Stop by here again and I will give you free pie."

"I will," I responded in amusement at her bribe. It's very convincing.  

She shot my dad a glare before leaving. She ensured to bump into him as she passed. He held his shoulder as he watched her leave. I am really curious about the story between them.

"I don't think that she liked when you called her a friend," I said when Helena was a distance away. 

"Huh?" He asked. "What do you mean?" My father looked at me with his eyebrows furrowed. 

I thought that was fairly obvious. Why are men always so fucking clueless. I sighed, mentally facepalming. 

I shook my head, pursing my lips, "Nothing." I walked away.

When we reached my car, he took Collin out of my hands so that I can get my key. I dug it out of my purse and unlocked my car. He moved around me and opened the back door. He was careful as he buckled Collin in the car seat to not wake him up.

I started the car, turning on the AC before I closed the door and faced my father. "You know, I don't have to stay at the clubhouse. I can rent an apartment."

He vehemently shook his head. "No, I've missed so many years of your life Riley. I don't want to miss any more. I want to be there for you and Collin and you said you're only staying for a short time. I want to spend as much time as I can with both of you." 

I rubbed my eyes tiredly. "Okay," I said, "I want to talk to Pyros. I'm sure we can work something out that doesn't involve invasion of my privacy."

My father looked hesitant but agreed nonetheless. "Why don't you come by the clubhouse tomorrow and speak to him. Can your friend watch Collin again? I know you said that you wanted to meet everyone before introducing them to Collin." 

"I'll ask her," I responded. I'm happy that he remembered what I said and respected my boundaries. I'm sure Harley would be very elated to spend more time with Collon.

He nodded, smiling. "Let me know. The older members of the club are excited to see you again."

"Okay," I said, trying to sound nonchalant. I vaguely recalled seeing some of them when I met my father. He hugged me and kissed my head. "Drive safe."

"Of course," I replied before I got into the car. I waved to my dad who had walked back to the front of the diner. Helena came out and stood next to him, looking upset. 

I grinned as I pulled out of the parking lot.