Chapter 16: I return

Two years later
September 10, 2023
19:30 (7:30 PM)
Donbas, Ukraine

A battle worn village located near the Ukrainian lines known for enemy troop movement was littered with the corpses of dead separatists as their crimson blood stained the ground. Adjacent to the village was a was forest thick in foliage and deep inside laying on the forest floor covered in foliage was a sniper wearing a varan camo uniform with the Ukrainian flag on his right shoulder, 79th Air Assault Brigade on his left to hide the true branch he was apart off, brown plate carrier and gloves, black combat boots, a boonie, half balaclava covering his face and dark woodland themed face paint. The sniper made next to no movement as they laid in the exact same spot for hours with brass shell casings lifting the ground next to them. Their right hand slowly pulled the bolt back, then forward on their black Fort Z-008 and adjusted the scope as the sniper lined up their primary target in their sights aiming for their head before squeezing the trigger sending a .338 Lapua round flying through the air and slamming dead center into their side with them going limp.

"Dvadtsyatʹ." (Twenty.) Said the sniper counting their twentieth kill of the day as the separatist Commander fell to the ground with the rest of his men scattering behind cover as the sniper readjusted their sight onto another enemy before squeezing the trigger. Bang another audible shot rang out. "Dvadtsyatʹ odyn." (Twenty one.) They counted before taking out another enemy as they desperately tried to find the source of the fire. But this was futile as this allowed the sniper the perfect opportunity for taking even more shots. Bang, bang, bang three more brass casing fell to the ground as three bodies fell limp on the ground. "Dvadtsyatʹ dva. Dvadtsyatʹ try. Dvadtsyatʹ chotyry." (Twenty two. Twenty three. Twenty four.) Seeing their comrades fall left, right and Center the remaining four decided to make a run for it. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang they each fired off a five round burst in the direction they thought the fire was coming from as a few bullets flew over the sniper's head but yet they refused to budge an inch as they simply loaded a new magazine. Bang, bang, bang, bang four audible shots rang out as the enemy fell limp with their hearts being Pierced or by a round hitting them between the eyes. "Plokhy napolehlyvi." (Fuckers are persistent.) Said the sniper as they viewed their handy work through the scope when a twig snapped behind him.

"Ruky zaraz!." (Hands now!) Shouted a Caucasian male separatist with light brown hair, sky blue eyes wearing civilian clothing mixed with a few pieces of military gear who managed to get behind the sniper.

"Tobi varto bilʹshe turbuvatysya pro shistʹ hodyn, druzhe." (You should be more concerned about your six o'clock my friend.) Replied the sniper in a cold, emotionless tone not even looking in the enemies direction once.

"shcho ty-" (What do you-) Before they could finish their sentence a black dog jumped on them and proceeded to chew on his throat with his eyes going wide as death was right in front of him and his screams were only faded as he couldn't scream no matter what. A few seconds later the separatist laid limp on the forest floor with his blood oozing out.

"Polkovnyk Fild, khorosha robota, i vy mozhete skazaty tse denʹ. 79-a desantno-shturmova bryhada, 93-y mekhanizovanyy batalʹyon i 72-y mekhanizovanyy batalʹyon budutʹ rukhatysya." (Colonel. Polʹovyy (Field), good work and you can call it a day. The 79th Air Assault Brigade, 93rd Mechanized Battalion and 72nd Mechanized Battalion will be moving in.) Said a feminine voice through his radio breaking the atmosphere.

"Stverdna osinʹ i dobranich." (Affirmative Autumn and good night.) Replied Colonel. Polʹovyy (Field) as he got up from his spot and called Dusk over. The setting sun illuminated his figure fully revealing him.

 The setting sun illuminated his figure fully revealing him