one

(if you skipped the preface, since some do - i'll leave this here ) a.u: if you were around when i first published this and are seeing it being published again, it's because i am redoing it. this story had potential, i just didn't have a well thought out plan for it. so now, i do.

"So...what do you think of Texas so far?"

I grin down at Trevor as we sat at the lunch table. The group of friends I happen to have been welcomed upon were all looking at me with curious eyes.

"Texas...is way different than Florida, I can tell you that much." I chuckle at them as I shrug. "It's still hot, but the humidity isn't as great."

"Just wait until the mornings and evenings!" Ely chirps, and I could only imagine. "Why did you come here anyway?"

"Were you not listening?!" Hanna snaps at him, and I was about to say again until she beats me to it. "His dad is in the military. He was stationed here, you never listen."

As I sit here I was very...thankful of them for welcoming someone like me into the friend group so abruptly. Except as their conversation about my abrupt entry into their school went on...I was still distracted on someone else.

I've heard his name enough to know what it is, and thankful to say so. I didn't want to seem like I cared to know...but it was kind of hard not to with the way he looked.

I look at Demetrius quietly, my eyes settling on him. I tried to be as clever as possible but I knew I was failing.

There was something about him that was different. He carried himself much differently and what I have noticed was that the people at his table...neither of them touched their trays. I wouldn't blame them though, the food here is vile.

"Who are you looking at?"

I face forward and make eye contact with Trevor now. He looked around me just to soon snort.

"Let me guess, you're looking at Demetrius right?" He questions me, and I chuckle awkwardly.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Very obvious, but we all insist - do not bother with him." Trevor seems to try and convince me a little too much. "Demetrius is known to be quite promiscuous. Him and his friends. I don't know how they get away with it because if it was any of us, we'd be expelled! They never seem to get in trouble, it's like the Lord is on their side or something! I could use some of that luck."

I look back at Demetrius as Trevor chuckles, seeing him eating some carrot sticks. He just ate them very numbly...like he had no desire to really eat. Except he seem to make eating look so picturesque.

Just from eating a carrot stick...

"Promiscuous," I face forward now, grabbing my burger as I take the meat out, "What do you mean by that? You mean that literally...figuratively?"

"Owen it doesn't get more simpler than that." Brian seems to find my question stupid as he watches me in confusion to removing the meat. "Promiscuous, that's all there is to it, but to answer your question... Yes, literally and figuratively."

I didn't know what to say to that. It didn't seem...fair for me to hear such a thing from people I barely know, but this was all the information I was going to get.

"Are you a vegetarian?" I hear a girl beside me ask, and I look at her.

She had very bright red hair and I wondered if it was almost real, or dyed. I eventually nodded to her question as I stab my fork into the meat, extending it towards her.

"Want my meat?" I ask kindly, and I see her cheeks turn pink. The table erupted into laughter except Brian who seemed to be giving me an irritated expression.