3: Double Trouble

I woke up in the middle of the night when Axl crawled into bed with me. He'd been at the studio really late. His fingers were in my hair, stroking the curls and getting stuck a part of the way through. "You're back," I whispered sleepily.

"I didn't mean to wake you up," He whispered in response. "I'm sorry I couldn't sing you to sleep." Even when he was on tour, Axl would call me every night. He loved to sing me songs until I fell asleep. I thought it was the sweetest thing, and he did have a very nice voice. "Do you want me to now?" He yawned.

"No, you've probably been singing all day." I closed my eyes, turning over. I buried my face into his bare chest. "Let's just go to sleep."

"You're so beautiful, you that?" He kissed my forehead. "The world is lucky I let them see you."

"You wanna lock me away?"

"Oh, yes. It could be dangerous if I let you out." I opened my eyes, seeing that he'd closed his. "But at least I know you're mine." He was silent after that, leaving me only thinking about his words. It'd been like this lately. What kind of world was he living in?

&&&&&

The phone rang, and I ran to grab it. I thought it might be Axl calling to tell me that he'd come home early. Instead, I was greetes by the voice of Slash. "Is Axl around?" He asked me. He sounded lost.

I twirled the cord around my finger, feeling my tongue grow heavy in my mouth. "I thought he was at the studio with you," I said. "That is where you are, isn't it?"

"No. I'm at uh...." He was lying now, I knew it. "A bar."

"Slash, do you need me to come and get you?' It was a rhetorical question, I already was going to find him. "What've you gotten yourself into?"

"I'm doin' fine. Don't worry, baby." I swallowed hard. Axl had worried something would happen to Slash, and maybe this is what he meant. "Where's Axl?"

"I don't know!" I admitted, clutching the phone in a now shaking hand. "I'm coming to get you." I rubbed my eyes, fear threatening tears. "Just try not to do anything stupid." Slash couldn't have gotten far. He still has to be in Los Angeles, at least within a few miles of the strip. I grabbed keys from before the front door, unable to admire the beautiful foyer anymore.

Axl had a few cars now, but I figured it best to take the fastest. I didn't care if it was speeding, so I took the sports car that I could barely drive. I drove recklesdly, not entirely by choice. The gear shift stuck, and I was so close to the road from the car being so low that I was vibrating. I couldn't observe the speed limits that I couldn't even see.

That was my excuse.

Los Angeles traffic was the worst though. Within three miles, I was fed up with the horns and red lights. I parked the car and continued on foot. I ran from club to club, asking everyone if they'd seen Slash. Each person received a more frantic questioning than the last. I was ready to give up after an hour of this, but I eventually saw a dark alley. Makeshift tents decorated the sides, and there, sitting and looking up at the sky, was a mess of hair and hat that I recognized. I let out a sigh of relief, rushing up to him. "What're you doing?" I asked him. Blood ran from his inner elbow to the ground, needles next to him.

"I'm gonna black out," he threatened. I picked him up. "I'm gonna throw up."

"I know, Slash. I know." I wasn't prepared to ask anyone else here for help, they all looked twice as bad as the guitarist. "It's a long walk to the car," I warned.

"Take a cab. Axl can get the car," Slash told me. "Lucy, you shouldn't have to-"

"Shut up! I was worried about you, alright?! I have no idea where anyone is or anything that's going on. And you're gonna tell me why you're stringing yourself out!" I was crying now, barely able to walk anymore. I was grateful for the cab parked near here. I gave the driver my address.

"Why're you taking me there?" Slash asked. He laid his head against the window. "Where's Axl?" The last time he asked the question, it broke me. I began to sob. I didn't know where Axl was.

&&&&&

Once I got back home, I laid Slash in a guest bathroom. "Just stay there until you feel better. I'll give you a bed in a bit, okay?" He nodded, leaning over the toilet. I closed the door so he could have his privacy.

I picked up the phone, calling the number Axl had given me for emergencies. He picked up immediately. "What's wrong?"

"Slash did something, but he's here. Where are you?"

"The studio."

"Really?" I bit my lip. "Is that really where you are?" Axl sighed. "Where are you?"

"I'm at a bar with Duff. But please don't come. You can't see us like this."

"How long has this been going on for?"

"Angel-face, we'll talk later."

"Axl, you need to come here. I don't know how to take care of-" The line went dead. I fell to the floor, crying. Axl was lying, Slash was on drugs, I didn't know what I was doing anymore.

The phone rang again. I picked it up. "What?" I choked on sobs.

"It's Izzy. What's wrong with you?"

"It's rough right now. It's not a good time."

"I'm coming over. You can tell me what's going on when I get there."

"Axl's lying to me. Slash is dying."

"Lucy, darling, just sit tight. I'll be right over. I'm gonna help you." The line went dead again. Why was Izzy the only good person left in this world?