13: Ouch

Axl's POV:

I called Lucy without thinking about the time zone difference. I was only three hours away though, it couldn't be that bad. When she picked up though, it sounded like she'd just woken up. "Hello?" She replied groggily.

"Hey, Angel-face. Are you excited for me to come home in a week?" I smiled as I held the phone, imagining her sleepy face lighting up at the thought of seeing me again. These last three months had been pretty brutal.

"Axl, my stomach hurts."

"I know," I sighed. "It's gonna get-"

"AAAAAHHHH!" She shrieked in my ear.

"Fuck! Angel-face, don't do that!" I scolded her, holding the phone away.

"Axl, I'm bleeding! I'm bleeding! I'm bleeding!"

"Whe-"

"It's coming out of me! It's- It's coming out of my-" The reason she was struggling to say the words dawned on me.

"Lucy," I gripped the phone tighter. "Listen to me, you need to get yourself an ambulance. Do you think you can do that? Do you need me to call one for you?"

"I-I- I- I can do it," She stuttered. "I can do it."

"Everything is going to be fine."

"Axl, what's happening to me?!" She wailed. I wanted to comfort her, but I was so far away. Fuck it, they'd just have to cancel the shows. I'm not leaving my girl by herself when she's just had a miscarriage.

"Angel-face, you lost the baby."

"What?!"

"It's alright, everything's alright." I assured her, hoping that my voice alone could be calming enough. "Everything is going to be just fine. I'm gonna hang up now. Call the ambulance, and I'll get a plane ticket outta here. I'll be there as soon as I can."

"But what about your tour?"

"You're way more important than my tour could ever be, Angel-face." I smiled even though she couldn't see it. "They'll have to make due without me." I made a kissing sound into the reciever. "I'll be there soon. I love you."

"I love you, too. I'll see you at the hospital," she laughed softly, sadly. The line went dead.

"Jesus Christ. A fucking miscarriage," I whispered to myself. "How could this happen to her? What did she do to deserve it?" I began going around my room, getting together an outfit for the airport. Before I did that, I left the guys a quick note to grab my stuff since I'd leave the hotel door unlocked.

With that, I was out the door and on my way to the airport.

&&&&&&

I came through the doors of a hospital all but eight hours later. I was up to the front desk, putting my hands on the counter. The receptionist looked at me. "Time for a hair cut?"

"Fuck off, I'm looking for someone. Lucy Rose?" She didn't have a last name, so we gave her mine. The receptionist looked through papers before finding what I asked for.

"Right here." She picked up a bracelet. "Hold out your wrist." I did as she asked, letting her fasten the band to my wrist. "She's in room 415."

"Thank you." I didn't bother looking for a directory or asking what floor that room was on. I simply walked as fast as the doctors would allow me (and sprinted while they weren't looking.) The process took only a few minutes because then, breathlessly, I was at the door. I opened it, finding Lucy sitting on a bed. Her hair was plastered to the pillow, tears staining her whole face. Her legs were split open wide, but there was no more blood, so I assumed it was from the pain she was feeling.

I walked over to her, taking her hand in mine. "Hey, Angel-face. I made it." I smiled at her, and she returned the smile weakly. "How are you holding up?"

She choked back a sob. "I've been better." She reached her arms out to me, and I pulled her into my embrace. "I wasn't ready, but I never wished them away," She sobbed at last. She was trembling against me, breaking my heart. "It isn't fair."

"I know, Angel-face. I know." I kissed her several times, trying my best to help her keep it together. "I know it hurts."

"What if it can never happen?"

"It'll happen, eventually. It just isn't the right time." I pulled away from her a few inches to look at her. "I promise you."

"You said that when I was worried before." She shook her head. "It doesn't mean anything. I don't belong here."

I squeezed Lucy so tight she gasped. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no. You don't leave me. You belong right here with me. You don't belong anywhere else."

"Axl," she gasped. "I can't breathe."

I loosened up my grip just a tiny bit. "Don't you ever leave me. I need you because you're supposed to be mine forever."

"Why don't you marry me then?" I let her go at that comment, suddenly afraid of the reality. I'd bought a ring for her, and I was going to ask. I was waiting until I got home from tour. I didn't really want to do it in a hospital.

"Patience," I sighed, sitting down next to her. I put my arm over her shoulders.

"Axl, there's not enough room for both of us," she chuckled.

"There's always room. As long as I can keep you close to me, everything is always alright."