18: Soulmates Forever

A month had gone by since I'd come back to Axl. Since then, he hadn't raised a hand, or his voice, to me. I was impressed and honored that he'd put so much effort into being a better person. "I love you," He whispered to me, running his hands up my sides. We were standing in line at a check-out counter. "I can't even stay away from you. I just love you so much." The caresses turned into a tight hug.

I giggled lightly. "I love you, too." I turned my head slightly so I could see the face buried in my shoulder. "How come you're being so sweet?" It was very out of character for him to be this nice to me somewhere in public, even if he was being a dream lately.

"Do you want me to stop?" His grip on me loosened, and he stood up straighter. "I can stop."

"I forgive you, you know that? You don't have to make yourself uncomfortable to make it up to me." I smiled at him gently. "Know that I'll never stop forgiving you."

"Know that I'm a fuck-up, and this isn't gonna last."

"Don't say that. You don't know that." I was starting to pay for the items that we'd bought. "You'll do better, I can feel it." I took my change. "You've been doing better for a month."

"I'm waiting for my downfall." Axl took the plastic bag. We were heading for the door. "I know I'm gonna fuck this up."

"You're not gonna fuck this up!" I asserted to him. He jumped a little at my swear. I shivered about it myself, I can't lie. "Just have a little faith in yourself. Is that so hard? I have plenty of faith in you after everything that's happened. Axl, you're doing so great. Don't make yourself miserable by waiting for your downfall!"

He was silent as we walked back to the car. "Am I making you miserable? Does it bother you that I do this?"

"You're acting weird. Did you forget to take your pills today?" He'd been prescribed a medicine for his personality disorder. When I found out about it, I insisted he start taking them. They fixed him when he bothered to listen to me. "You did."

"I don't need them. They're just some bullshit medication that a doctor who doesn't actually give a rat's ass-"

"Well, I do care. And I care enough to know that they do help you. You really need to take that medicine, Axl." I sat in the car and put my seatbelt on. "I'm not joking."

He ruffled my hair. "I know that you're not joking. That's what scares me. What did I ever do to deserve you?" He put the car in gear and began to drive out of the parking lot. "I'll take the medicine when we get home."

"You promise?"

"I don't promise anything, Angel-face. You know that." He stopped at a red light. "Something might happen between now and then that changes everything. What if we died?"

"I would protect you from death, Love. You're taking those pills if we have to lug the burned and broken car all the way back home."

"I'm not dragging this shit anywhere. We've got plenty more at home."

"This car is meaningless to you? This is the car that I stole from you. The car that you sprained your wrist trying to make out with me in. Doesn't that mean anything?"

"You're so girly sometimes. Sentiment is meaningless when we have memories. I'll remember those things without a car." He reached out his hand to stroke my cheek with his finger. "And every time I look at your pretty face, I can relive every one of those memories."

"And you said you have no sense of sentiment," I teased him.

"What? Because I love you?" We stopped at another red light. He reached into his pocket and produced a silver ring with a small sapphire. "Because I'll love you forever? Because I want you to be my wife?"

"You're asking me to marry you?" I gasped, staring at the ring. We began to drive again. "Y-yes, of course!" I picked up the ring and put it on my finger. "I love you so much."

"I'll give you kisses when we get home to celebrate." He laced our fingers over the car's console. "I love you so much more than you know."

"I know," I whispered. "I know."

------

I'm not dead!! This story kinda fell off a bit, sorry about that. I did manage to finish it, though.
Welp, this is the end.
Always and forever,
Davy Jones