Flying Lessons and Tryouts

The week of flying lessons arrived. Harry concluded that it was a bad idea to ask any of his house partners for information. He did not want to risk losing their respect. He could pass only as an amateur flyer and because the class will be shared with the Gryphindors, where many students are still facing their first experience with magic, he should not look that bad.

To at least get a little more information about the flying technique they may use, he ended up reading some articles in the library and newspaper about it. In his research, he finds out three things.

The first was that the sport that prevailed in the wizarding world was Quidditch. He is still uncertain about the rules.

The second thing he found was about the magazine that could really help him in his research about the wizarding world: The Quibbler. The other source of news was The daily prophet, but it was full of articles that made it look like any other newspaper and close to a mare tabloid.

Although the Quibbler had some questionable articles. They are the only ones that are showing a prospect of real research in the magic world. Still, some articles seem to be out of the public before having someone check the sources.

And third. From the research, Harry was sure that the way to fly was with a broom. Which made him a little more at ease. He thought for a moment that the kids could use a Tier 3 spell. "That would be absurd. Classes so far are about spells that could be classified as tier 1, and sometimes 0", thought Harry.

In Harry's research, mounting a broom looked more like controlling an enchanted tool, more than the use of any magic. His assessment came from the "advice" of the books about flying: "Be firm and direct with the Broom".

Harry was walking alongside Pansy to the grounds where the flying lessons will going to take place. In front of him were Ron and Dean. They were discussing which was better, Quidditch or Football. Suddenly both asked Hermione, who was walking in front of everyone reading a book.

Hermione was desperate and nervous. Not for the discussion for the sport, but because this will be her first flying lesson. The idea of flying on a broom appeared in Hermione's mind as soon as she was told that she was a witch. And with her small amount of vanity, she hoped that she won't have a wart in her nose.

After some insistence by her house partners, Hermione turned to answer, but she felt corned and said, "I don't know. What do you say, Harry?" Both kids turn to where Hermione was looking and find Harry.

"Football or Quidditch", said Ron, and then Dean said, "West Ham is the best football team, isn't it?". "West Ham? That's not a team for Quidditch. Chudley Cannons, that's a people's team," said Ron right after Dean.

"Real Madrid", answered Harry. Dean chuckled and said, "Of course a Slytherin will support Real Madrid".

Ron and Pansy were confused by the answer, but when Pansy heard that Harry's answer was "Slytherin like", she did not try to ask more.

When they finally arrived at the grounds where the lesson was going to be taking place. Harry saw the brooms on the ground and wondered if it would be similar to riding a bike or a skateboard.

Once they were close enough, Madam Hooch, the teacher, approached them and gave simple instructions to all the students: "Stand next to your Broom, extend your hand and say: UP".

Harry did it with no problem. Hiding his surprise, he looked to the rest of the kids. Many have problems doing the simple exercise, especially Hermione and Neville, the kid that lost his frog on the train.

Fortunately for Hermione and Neville, Ron, when trying to call for his broom, was hit by it in the face, making everyone stop looking at the two Gryffindors who were unable to complete the exercise. The laughs, especially from the Slytherins, about the scene of the broom hitting Ron in the face, were loud.