No Longer Hidden- Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

The blood sprayed across my face as my hunting knife slipped through the wolf that just tried to go for my jugular. The blood dotting my skin and ran in thick red streaks along my clothes. My eyes just glazed over as I turned to the next wolf that was growling at me.

My pulse raced away from me with the next attack. The powerful beast finding a maneuver that knocked my knife from my hand. But he never got the chance to whip his head around me get his teeth in me. I managed to get around his body and held him down. His jaws snapping at the air in anger.

Behind my eyes and deep with in my mind, images danced around and a life flashed through my sight. Every image twisted in my mind and ripped at my heart. It wasn't my life I was seeing. It was that of Louis. Every part of me was screaming and howling in grief for losing him.

Anger reared up and swelled within my stomach watching this wolf thrash about below me. Rebels like him didn't care who they took down from our side. All they wanted to do was quench their blood thirsty desires by fighting for the other side.

Louis had been the best of us since just before the wedding. He tempered his brother down and became the one I relied on when we needed someone to see the medical tent for information or to help out there. Ian had also been training him in first aid on the battle field. Louis had shown interest in possibly becoming a doctor one day.

I could feel my forehead shifting and tightening as the anger I felt surged deeper and larger than I've even had before. The sensation was all new to me and part of me was craving it, using it to make me feel stronger and more powerful. The dark beast below me growling and whining as I pressed more into him. Using my anger to add to the strength I was using on him. My own growls adding to the ones he was trying to make. Soon, only my growls were between us as he slowed in his movements.

I was yanked off and pressed into a tree. Ian looking astonished as I bared my teeth at him and growled. "My LADY!" The look of shock was on his face as he searched my face and eyes. His expression softening. "Nina."

The way he said my name cut the growls from my throat. The way he was looking at me was slowly making my anger recede back to where it had come from. The image of Louis holding Faith that fateful morning fading. The look of pure happiness and one of a man who found a future that has haunted me for days. Weeks.

Ever since Louis died, something had shifted inside me. The pain alone when I remember him tore at me so deeply that I was starting to feel feral. A rogue leading the charge against others who wouldn't accept me for just being alive. I was getting more and more upset everyday without the will to stop it.

"Nina. Please calm down and see what is happening. Your losing your ground and your cause." He looked left. "For this one time, I think it would be best to use your royal voice and end this madness."

Following his gaze, I saw Shane come into view. The look of pure rage on his face that I recognize that must have been on my own a moment ago. Blood over half of his face but it looked like he wanted more on him as he slashed at his opponent. The opponent looking just as blood thirsty as Shane looked.

Deena behind him trying to subdue the rebel in front of her. Her eyes flicking over to Shane ever few seconds as she gritted her teeth against the attack. In the moment she saw Shane, worry flared. She was worried about Shane and the way he was right then. Never had anyone seen Shane pissed to the point he looked to be seeking revenge.

Other rogues that formed the new pack that Shane lead were looking his way too. All of them looked to be thinking the same thing. Shane was hurting and pissed. They knew and were helpless to temper his fury. Most looking frightened of him being in that kind of state for fear he'd turn on them. But I knew Shane would never do that to them ever. He cared for each and every one of his rogues as if he really was true Alpha. Who knows, he just might have the gift yet never tried to see.