No Longer Hidden- Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

~~Shane's Point Of View~~

Outside Nina's tent, I looked both ways before my eyes fell onto the quickly disappearing form of Deena. She was headed to the clearing where the other rogues were. I loved seeing how fast she was, but hated why she was racing there.

After a deep breathe to dispel the nerves and ache at seeing her so upset, I jogged after her. She may need a moment to herself and I didn't want to look too eager to chase after her. She already thinks I'm a love sick pup with how I bugged her to join us. Only when I told her who we were against did she agree.

When I got to the clearing, all the others were looking up in a tree. Shaking my head, I knew that's where she went. That's how she managed to dodge me for so long before she would listen to me. Most nights she'd rest up in the tree away from the rest of us. She was even the one to alert us to the attack before we got here.

I remember laying down next to the fire looking up at her in the tree. Her eyes looking out over the darkness of the trees. I knew she saw more than any others because of her heightened senses. All I could wonder was what it would be like if I had super senses like her.

Claw and Bethany laying on the other side of the fire. Several of the rogues had been in awe of him when he shifted wolf. Half of our new force had submitted instantly seeing him. Then they found out he had his mate and you could see the longing in all their eyes to have what he had. Even I felt that longing from time to time.

The instant that Deena shifted sharply on her perch up in the tree. Then her eyes shot down to mine and I was up rousing everyone. She even quirked her eyebrow up at me when she landed behind me. My back had been facing the tree. A shrug was all she got because the next second we were being attack.

Without her warning us, we may have had many dead right now. She saved all of us being so high up in the tree. Because she was able to see what none of us would have been able to.

Stopping in front of the tree she climbed up to now, I reined in my own thoughts of that night and how I defended her more than anyone. Even more than Claw, a royal. Something about Deena had me very protective.

With a deep sigh, I started climbing up the tree. This was the first time I chased after up an actual tree. I used to let her be up them, but this time was different. Something told me she needed someone. And by heavens, I couldn't think of anyone other than me to maybe get to her and possibly comfort her.

She didn't even move when I finally hoisted myself onto a branch near her. One that was a tad bit higher than her. Her body curled in on itself as it looked like she was trying with all her might not to cry. But a few tears snuck their way out of her eyes and down her face. Her eyes squeezing just a bit tighter after each one fell.

"Go away." Her voice pierced right through my soul. The heart ache and pain was clear.

I lightly shook my head. "I'm not going anywhere. You can't just push everyone and be alone anymore." I made no move to touch her because I knew she was on the edge emotionally. "I refuse for you to be alone when you're in pain."

Her fiery eyes blazed yellow with her wolf as she looked at me. "You know nothing about what I'm going through."

My face softened as I let someone see me for the first time like this. Letting all my humor I kept to the surface fall away and see how much in pain I still was over my parents death. "I know better than you think."

I moved closer without reaching out to her. "Both of my parents were killed by a human thief. He took them away when I was very young. For a while I was a loner, and then I used a persona to cover up how much pain I was still in.