Chapter 3

Ayanna made it home before Brian did and walked into the house and slammed the door.

"Hey honey, I know he probably embarrassed you in front of your friends", Kelly said.

"Friends?? He embarrassed him in front of the the whole school, especially my— my boyfriend", Ayanna said. "He's so difficult and I'm tired of it! Sometimes I wish that my mom was here because maybe, just maybe things would different", said Ayanna.

As she said that last sentence, Brian came through the door.

"But unfortunately she isn't so that leave you with me", said Brian. "No Kelly, me. So if I tell you,no, about something, I meant that shit. Besides you lied anywhere."

"I was going to spend the night with Melissa", said Ayanna.

"But you forgot to mention a party and boy?", Brian asked.

"Well dad you don't let me do anything so why not lie. Everybody else's parents let them go.", said Ayanna.

"I'm not their parents. You're my responsibility. I gotta make sure you're safe and that nothing happens to you", said Brian.

"I get that. I really do but at the end of the day, you don't let me do anything", she argued. "Nothing. I fully remember mom as much as I would like to but I don't think she would agree with this."

"Give me your keys, your phone and your iPad", said Brian. "And stop speeding"

"Great. The only bit of socialization that I can get other than school is gone", said Ayanna.

Ayanna gave him her keys and her phone.

"I'll put my iPad in your room", she said before walking upstairs.

Brian looked at Kelly.

"Next time stay out of it", said Brian.

"I was just trying to help. I know it was hard for you after Diamond passed away... and I mean since I'm your girlfriend now then I was thinking that maybe you would like to hear my input. Maybe you thought of me as another mother figure for her. I don't know", said Kelly nervously.

Kelly never really knew about Brian's abusive pass. She just got a little scared whenever he got mad.

"Kelly... I used to love how you how you treated Ayanna as your own and I still do, but let me do what I do", said Brian.

"What are you scared of?", Kelly asked.

"I just— nothing. Just come to bed, I'm tired. I had a long day. I could talk to you about my day", he said.

"...okay", she replied.

Brian kissed her and took her hand and walked her upstairs.

——

A few hours later, Ayanna was still awake. She couldn't sleep because she was so upset. She eventually got out of bed and put some clothes in her bag. Once she zipped her bag up, she walked out of her room and slowly walked downstairs.

Once she almost got to the bottom when she heard Brian stand up from the couch. He had a bottle of liquor in his hand and while he was walking he stubbled a little bit.