Chapter 8

Ayanna and Corey are currently  at his apartment.

"I don't get it. How could I have not remember something like that? I used to be so scared", said Ayanna. "I remember going to Vanessa's house. She used to make feel so much better...yet my dad said she was a bad person"

"...maybe he was saying that so you'd stop asking about her. He probably didn't want her to say anything that he didn't want you to hear", said Corey. "It was probably that exact thing. That he used to beat on your mom"

Ayanna was quiet for a moment.

"...i just... first of all I can believe he let me go on a dad with you and second I can't believe he let me leave the house", said Ayanna.

"Well you did saw you were going to Melissa's house...not here. I said all that that shit to your dad about respecting his wishes, which I do, but this is the last place I want him to see you at right now", said Corey.

Ayanna looked at him.

"But at the end of the day, you need me so I don't care. Let him see you here if he ever does...I just wanna be the one to make you feel better", said Corey.

"Thank you", said Ayanna before looking back down. "I'm so thankful for you and Melissa"

Corey smiled.

"You know what...I was going to wait until your birthday but you look like you could use something to make you smile", said Corey.

"What?", asked Ayanna.

"Hold on", said Corey as he stood up and went to his room.

When he came back out , he had a package in his hand.

"I didn't get a chance to wrap it or take it out for that manner so sorry", said Corey. "Let me get a knife or something"

Corey walked into the kitchen.

"Please tell me this isn't that bracelet you showed me at the party", said Ayanna.

Corey walked out of the kitchen with some scissors.

"Would that be a bad thing?", asked Corey.

"Corey...it's too early for gifts like that", said said Ayanna.

"It was just 200 dollars", said Corey.

"Just 200 dollars? You say that like— Nevermind. Corey I can't take that", said Ayanna as she put it down.

"You can't take it, or you won't take it?", asked Corey.

"Both", said Ayanna. "My dad says—"

"I don't mean any harm but you do a lot of things because of what your dad says. I get the whole things about him knowing where you are and not being able to go anywhere but you don't have to live your whole life around him. Dude probably said anything so you wouldn't have a life", said Corey.

Ayanna looked down.

"There's things you have to do when he comes to what he says but there's things you gotta do for you", said Corey. "You're almost 18"

"Why you so pressed?", asked Ayanna.

"Because I don't want him to be the reason we can't finish what we started. I ain't saying that we're going to last but damn let that be up to us", said Corey.

Ayanna looked at Corey.

"I'm sorry but that's just how I feel", said Corey.

"...you're right and honestly that's how I've been feelings but still...I can't take that right now. I really appreciate it and I love it but I can't take that", said Ayanna.