Chapter 6

The following day, Mrs. Mills took Ayanna back home.

"I'm sorry you aren't feeling okay. Maybe I can come get you next weekend" said Mrs. Mills.

"Okay", Ayanna replied.

"...it isn't something we did, was it?", asked Mrs. Mills.

"No. I just really don't feel good", said Ayanna.

Brian came outside of the house. He was surprised to see Ayanna back so soon.

"Everything okay?", he asked as he walked closer to Ayanna.

"Yea. I just don't feel to great. I'm going to lay down. Thank you for spending time with me grandma", said Ayanna. "Maybe another weekend"

"Okay", Mrs. Mills replied.

Ayanna got her things from the backseat and walked into the house.

Brian looked at Mrs. Mills. "What happened?", he asked.

"You heard her. She said she doesn't feel well. I don't know maybe this was a bad idea. I shouldn't have came", said Mrs. Mills. "Im sorry"

Mrs. Mills knew it wasn't anything really wrong with Ayanna. So she felt like she did something to cause Ayanna to leave and it made her feel bad.

"Bye", Mrs. Mills said before backing out. She didn't wanna show her emotions to Brian.

Brian sighed then walked into the house.

"Come on Ayanna. What's going on?", asked Brian.

"I dont know. I guess I'm not used to being away from you so I came back home", said Ayanna.

"All week you've been talking about how you wanna get out of here", he said.

Ayanna sighed as she sat down.

Brian looked at her shopping bags.

"Got some new clothes?", he asked trying to change the subject.

"Yea...", said Ayanna.

"That's nice", said Brian.

"...Alyssa reminded me of mom..I mean like how she looked. They look so much a like. I don't think Alyssa liked me or wanted me there. She barely spoke to me. Grandma and Zara loved that I was there but I don't know...it didn't feel right", said Ayanna.

"Maybe because you haven't seen them in so long", said Brian. "You can't just jump and leave because that awkward feeling. That's going to happen because you haven't seen them in so long"

"I guess", Ayanna said.

"Well I know", said Brian.

Brian didn't want Ayanna around them because of the fear of what they might tell her but he didn't want her to know that of course. So he acted like he cared about her coming home early.

"Yea you're right. I feel bad and stupid", said Ayanna.

"You definitely aren't stupid but I'm sure it's okay. Mrs. Mills will understand. With you she was always open arms arms", said Brian.

Ayanna smiled a little then she stopped.

"You're okay, right?", asked Ayanna.

"Yea..what do you mean? Why do you ask?", asked Brian.

"You were drinking", said Ayanna. "You looked drunk and then you wake up like nothing happened. Just normal"

Brian didn't say anything for a moment.