Chapter 16

Ayanna came back to the basement after talking to her mom.

"What's wrong with her? Why is she acting so fidgety? Why didn't you the about Kendrick?", asked Ayanna.

"You told her?", asked Brian as he stood. "Why would you do that?"

"I didn't tell her anything. I think she figured it out on her own", said Ayanna.

Brian started pacing.

"She broke the TV, she threw her food. She messed everything up in that cell but the bed", said Ayanna.

Brian stopped pacing and looked at Ayanna.

"I told you not to go over there. And I told you not to say anything to her", said Brian. "You don't listen!"

Ayanna jumped a little.

"You don't ever listen and I'm tired of that shit! Listen for once!", Brian shouted.

Mrs. Mills came downstairs.

"Hey, don't talk to her like", she said.

"This is my god damn daughter! You can shut the fuck up!", said Brian.

"You can calm down!", Mrs. Mills argued back. "Ayanna go upstairs so I can talk to your dad please"

Ayanna looked at Brian. She felt bad. She walked upstairs and out of the basement.

"I told you what would happen if you opened your fucking mouth", said Brian. "You done fucked up now"

"And I told you I'm going to get justice for my son", said Mrs. Mills.

"Fuck your son. I'll kill the other one too just because he looks like him", said Brian.

"Watch your fucking mouth", said Mrs. Mills as she got closer to him.

"Or what?", asked Brian.

"Or I'll kill myself", said Mrs. Mills.

"Oooh I'm scared", Brian said with sarcasm.

"I was going to give you something to eat but you can starve", said Mrs. Mills before leaving the basement.

Mrs. Mills walked into the living. She saw Alyssa and Ayanna sitting on the couch.

"Why was he yelling at you like that?", asked Mrs. Mills.

"He just got upset with me. No big deal. It was suspected", said Ayanna with a worried look on her face.

"...are you okay? You don't look okay?", asked Mrs. Mills.

"I'm fine...I just...I'm fine", said Ayanna.

Ayanna was thinking about her mom. She didn't know what do to about her situation. She didn't know if she should tell someone and go against her dad or to just keep it between her and her dad.

"Have you gotten anything? Did he say anything that hinted toward him killing Kendrick or your mom?", asked Mrs. Mills.

"....no", said Ayanna as she started tearing up.

"What's wrong?", Mrs. Mills asked.

Ayanna wiped her tears.

"Grandma? How about me and Ayanna talk real quick. Come on Ayanna let's go sit by the pool", said Alyssa.

Ayanna and Alyssa stood up and they walked outside.

"I know we haven't seen each other in years so we barely know each other... but I promise you that you can tell me anything. You can trust me with anything", said Alyssa.

"How do I know you just want tell grandma or Vanessa?", asked Ayanna.

"I knew who killed my dad...I didn't say anything for 11 years", said Alyssa as her voice cracked a little.

"...it's about mom", said Ayanna.

"What about her? Did he confess?", asked Alyssa.

"...kinda", said Ayanna. "...he tried to kill her yes...but she didn't die"

"What do you mean?", asked Alyssa. "She's not here"

"She's been kept in some glass containment", Ayanna said. "She's going crazy in there, Alyssa. I don't know what to do"

"How about you tell—"

"No we can't. We can't tell anyone right now", said Ayanna.

"I get that's your dad and all but what he did and is doing is wrong! I get your loyalty but this is your mom, our mom that we're talking about!", said Alyssa. "She wouldn't sit here and let us rot in a cell while who ever did it runs free"

"I know but...I know I should stupid. Maybe I am stupid but at the end of the day my dad was always there for me. He never left my side. I know my dad...i know the real him. He isn't in his right mind. He needs help. Not jail", said Ayanna.

"You dad needs to be shot", said Alyssa.

"I shouldn't have told you anything", said Ayanna. "And you better not discuss what we talked about with anybody else until I figure something out"

"Or what?", asked Alyssa.

"Just don't say anything. Please", Ayanna begged before walking into the house.

"Everything okay between you too?", asked Mrs. Mills.

"Yea...I just have to go home. I have school in the morning", said Ayanna.

"...okay", said Mrs. Mills. "Be safe. Call me anytime for anything. I don't care what it is"

Ayanna smiled a little. "Okay", said Ayanna. "Goodnight"

"Goodnight", said Mrs. Mills. 

Ayanna left.

TO BE CONTINUED...