Prologue

Games were something meant to be fun. Whether it was a goofy children's game of worn sneakers throwing up dirt over a playground or a steamy game on the sheets between couples, games were meant to be full of laughter and lasting memories. One never would have imagined the oceans of blood, faces forever frozen in betrayal, the agony that word would soon inflict.

The problem with humans is they were far too comfortable in their sense of safety. Assuming the flimsy locks on their doors would keep away a calculated plan from snatching them by their weak feet and dragging them to the depths of hell. Far too thick headed to consider the existence of a species much higher on the predator podium than themselves.

Soft blue sheets wrapped a slender body laying in a small bed, white light caressing his face from a phone held in pale hands. George scrolled through the news feed, fingertip brushing over the smooth screen. 

His college had gone on lockdown, confining all students to their dorm rooms after 6pm. The reason being strange disappearances of people in the middle of the night. George had opened his phone to search for more information on the situation. 

Blood splattered images made his stomach churn. Not only had people disappeared, but some family members had been brutally murdered as well. He scanned the article titles, feeling sick.

Parents and siblings found in gruesome murder, one missing 

Midnight mayhem, what the police have to say about the disturbing disappearances

21 year old woman reported missing among ten other cases

George briefly read each article, noticing not one had a single solid theory on what was happening. It seemed even the FBI were failing to grasp answers. How could that even be possible? Surely at least one home had surveillance cameras? Why didn't they have even one suspect up to trial? 

Somebody had to be behind this, and the attacks were too calculated to have been done separately. 

George dropped his phone onto his chest, his eyes growing heavy. He glanced at the clock. 11:59pm. He had to sleep if he wanted to make it to classes in five hours. 

The brunette was about to pull his blankets more snugly around his shoulders when the room felt colder. A chill trickled down George's spine, and he grabbed his phone. There was a soft pop, followed by quiet hissing.

Clicking the flashlight option on, George's soul nearly lifted from his body. Pale white gas was filling his room, choking his lungs. 

But that wasn't what scared him the most. 

As the gas burned into George's chest, his eyes watering from the coughing racking his body, the beam of light caught on a figure standing at the end of his bed. 

George tried to hold his breath, but his body was growing weak. His blood suddenly filled his body with heavy weights, and he collapsed into a sea of blue fabric. The last thing he saw before his vision went black was a person in a deep green jumpsuit. 

The smile glowing on the person's black mask burned behind George's eyes. He was sure he would see that smile in his nightmares, but he never could have imagined he'd be awake for this nightmare.