Chapter 39

George POV

She slammed the charged metal onto Dream's chest, and his entire body jolted. The machines continued screaming, and she fired up the metal pieces and shocked him again. And again. Again. 

Electricity crackled, barely audible under the agonizing ringing. Holly's hair fell in dark waterfalls, her eyes more focused than he'd ever seen. 

"Hang in there!" George brought Dream's hand to his chest, leaning over his face and staring at those long lashes. "You can't die, not now. We're here. We're trying! Can't you hear us? Fight god damn it!"

Holly tossed the metal onto the machine, pressing her palms to her son's chest and beginning compressions. Around them, the entire room hummed with the dropping numbers. They were losing him fast.

"C'mon, Dream." Hot tears rolled off his cheeks, dropping to freckled constellations. "Don't go, stay with us."

Silence fell heavily, as though the earsplitting record scratched to a halt. Neither of them moved, staring in equal disbelief at the limp body in front of them. Holly's face fell, a glossy sheen overtaking her green irises.

"Oh God, please no." George cupped the dirty blond's face in his free hand, trembling harder than he'd ever had in his life. 

If this was reality, he wished the ground would open and swallow him whole. His mind was spiraling, crashing into the dark depths when-

Beep. Beep. BEEP. BEEP.

A sound more wonderous than anything they'd ever heard returned to the room. The next moment, they watched a miracle take place. 

It started off with a tiny twitch, and then the fluttering of lashes. His nose wrinkled slightly, and the most beautiful color to ever exist opened. Emerald green stared blankly ahead, slowly registering George's face inches from his own.

He moved his lips, but he was too weak to make a sound. The brunette dropped his forehead to press against the other's, shaking his head and smiling widely. 

Holly let out a cry, collapsing to her knees and laughing softly through tears. 

When they spoke, they expressed the same heartfelt relief. 

"You're awake."

George threw his arms around Dream's neck, sobbing uncontrollably and whispering thanks to the universe over and over. The dirty blond seemed confused and disoriented, tilting his head to lean further onto the brunette. 

"Wh... where am..." He struggled to speak, each word drawn-out and strained. "... I?"

It took all George's strength to peel himself off Dream, forcing himself to remember the other had no idea what was going on. He settled for staying in his sight, keeping one hand gently caressing his cheek.

Holly gathered herself and joined him, leaning over the side of the bed in her son's view. "Shhhh, don't talk too much. You're home, sweetie."

Dull emerald slid to George, a million questions swirling in green depths. His gaze never left the brunette, as though he were scared the human would vanish if he blinked. George rubbed his thumb in soothing circles on the dirty blond's cheek, silently communicating he wouldn't go anywhere. 

Holly adjusted several machines, writing down vitals and keeping one eye on her son. She asked him to wiggle his toes and answer a few questions on his name and age, appearing relieved when he did so without struggle. The brunette did his best to not get in the way, remaining by Dream's head and stroking his hair.

"The good news is, you weren't out long enough for any lasting symptoms such as paralysis or brain damage." She finished her examination, explaining her findings to them. "However, that said, you'll be quite weak the first day or two awake."