Chapter 22

George POV

"I'd watch your backs if I were you." Corpse's voice drifted darkly behind him.

"Don't end up like your name." Dream called after him, earning a pointed glare.

"We should probably head back to our rooms." George murmured. He got to his feet, opening his mouth to ask Dream if he was coming when the dirty blond stood up.

They walked through the bustling halls in silence. Players slunk to their rooms, nervously glancing over their shoulders for stalkers.

"The doors don't lock until eight." George recalled, once again cursing the absence of clocks in their private quarters. "If an imposter wanted to kill one of us before then, they could."

"They aren't just scared of imposters." Dream commented. His emerald gaze followed the players disappearing into doors. "People might start killing each other just out of suspicion."

"Killing other players isn't punished if you don't get caught." The Game Host's words singed his tongue. 

"We should stay together." Dream suggested. He said it so calmly, his tone breezy and casual.

George, however, stumbled over his own feet. "What?"

"I'll stay with you in your room," Dream went on. "we'll be less likely to be targeted if we stay together." 

The brunette's ears rang. "You'll go back to your room before the doors lock, though, right? You mean stay until eight pm?" 

"No." Dream's emerald eyes danced with amusement. "I meant all night. What if an imposter broke in? The doors unlock an hour before breakfast, what if someone planned their move for then?" 

The dirty blond's observations weren't wrong, any of those things truly could happen. Didn't make George any less startled. They'd be locked in the same room, sharing a bed, for an entire night. Sure, they'd slept close together in the maze, but this felt different somehow. He'd never been a touchy-feely person, always loving his own space. Sleepovers had been nonexistent growing up. 

Then again... some tiny part of him warmed with reassurance. Being murdered in his sleep did seem less likely if he wasn't alone.

"Okay," He began slowly. "I guess that makes sense."

Dream perked up, invisible golden retriever tail wagging. "Let's go!" 

"You better not snore." George attempted to joke, approaching his room and turning the cold metal of his door handle.

Dream snort-laughed, quickly escalating into a wheeze. "Only idiots snore."

"So you do snore then." 

"If I snore, you snore." 

George rolled his eyes, dropping the subject as the door clicked shut behind them. The soft sound of the door locking into place rang in finality of their decision. Dream appeared immune to any awkwardness, immediately touring around his room.

"We really do have the same rooms." He observed. 

"Yeah." George agreed, watching him dart around with faint amusement. 

Dream hummed, eventually growing bored with the lack of anything different from his own room. His dirty blond hair tumbled over the snowy pillow, flopping onto the bed in a move belonging to a cartoon character.

"So," He tilted his head, alluring green eyes reaching for mocha. "What was your life like before you came here?"

"That's what you're asking me?" George drifted closer, settling on the foot of the bed. The mattress dipped lightly beneath him, back leaning against the wall.