Chapter 37

George POV

George paced outside a shiny silver door, his mind toppling with every best-case and worst-case scenario imaginable. Corpse leaned quietly on the wall opposite to him, those mismatched eyes watching him wear himself out in the otherwise empty hallway.

"Our mother is an experienced doctor, if anyone can handle this it is her." The alien attempted to calm him.

"Why can't we be in there? She's not doing surgery so-"

"Because she needs to focus and not have some human pacing in circles in a confined space." Corpse cut him off.

George's shoulders slouched in defeat, and his feet slowed to a stop. "I know. I'm just... what if that was the last time I see him?"

The moment the words left his mouth, he wanted to drag them back in. Dream's brother gazed at him without speaking, and he knew they both were remembering the last conversation they'd had. If something were to happen to either of you.... Anything you will want to say to him will be left unsaid.

He released a shaky breath, pressing his back against the wall and sinking to the floor. "I'm an idiot. I should never have let him take me home."

Corpse snorted, a sound of bitter amusement. "You assume that dumbass would listen? Yeah, you are an idiot."

George had no doubt he was right. Dream's stubbornness went unmatched, even to his own, but the kindness in his heart was what fueled that stubbornness. If they turned back time, the brunette was sure Dream would make the same choice a thousand times over.

That didn't make it any less his fault, and yet not one finger had been pointed at him since he got here. Perhaps it was the severity of the situation, and the wrath would come later, but George didn't think so. He found no hatred hiding in the eyes that looked at him, rather, everyone seemed to pity him. 

"Why aren't you blaming me?" He hesitantly voiced his thoughts, leaning his head back to study the raven-haired across from him. 

"Why would we?" Corpse tilted his head, dark brows furrowing inward. "Dream made the choice, no one forced him to do it. He did it because he loves you, and we'd all be liars if we said we wouldn't make sacrifices for those we love." 

George's eyes stung, and he bit his inner cheek to stop the tears from gathering. He never expected a heartfelt response, but he appreciated it nonetheless. He wondered if Corpse regretted not saving Sykunno when he had the chance, giving the other an understanding towards his brother's actions. 

"Don't look at me like you just watched me hold my dog after it got hit by a car." Corpse wrinkled his nose. "Besides, Dream never loved anyone outside his family before. Obviously you're a special exception." 

The brunette tucked his knees to his chest, resting his chin atop and smiling slightly. "Thank you. I'm surprised you can be nice without throwing up blood." 

"Fuck off." Corpse snapped. "I've always been nice." 

George puffed out a laugh, shaking his head. He didn't bother touching that one, not wanting to get his head bitten off. Even if he wanted to remind Corpse just who suggested killing him when he first learned of their identities. 

The door next to him swung open, ending their conversation entirely. The human shot to his feet, taking a hopeful step towards Dream's mother as he searched her face for grief or success. 

Several black strands escaped her messy bun, tangling against her horns and accentuating her exhausted expression. Behind her, the girl with dirty blond hair slipped past holding a bundle of bloodstained sheets.