Chapter 38

George POV

"Ah, if you don't mind, I prefer Ghost." The definitely-not-dead alien kindly corrected him. "The other name just... doesn't hold good memory." 

Ghost had a similar appearance to Wilbur, with fluffy brown hair and comparable facial structure. The main differences were his gray-blue eyes, paler skin, and cobalt horns. Gone was the player tracksuit, replaced with a yellow sweater, red beanie, and brown pants. 

"Right, sorry. I was just so surprised... how are you alive?" George tugged a strand of his hair, the day's overwhelming events weighing heavily on him. Beside him, the one he loved remained comatose and in front of him stood an old ally thought dead. 

"This guy." Ghost hooked a thumb at Foolish. "He helped me escape when I was brought to trial. My elder brother assisted, though he isn't here right now."

The brunette flashed a shocked glance at Foolish, remembering how he had found entertainment in tormenting him and Tommy. He even went as far as to mock Ghost, howling in laughter while the other was dragged off. 

"I know what you're thinking." The alien in question rolled his eyes. "It was a façade to keep the suspicion off my ass, so you can stop hating me now."

"No, I don't think I will." Before Foolish could respond, George returned his attention to the other alien. "You went back for Tommy after nearly dying?" 

"I did say it was my job to protect him." Ghost mustered a smile, failing to hide the sorrow beneath. "How could I leave him behind if I was still breathing?" 

As your older brother it's my job to protect you. His words moments before the revelation of his identity rang in George's head. It was clear the alien would always view Tommy as his little brother, fighting any battle it took to keep the teen safe. 

George wondered how Tommy felt about the situation, but he didn't dare ask with everyone in the room. Judging by the life that returned to ice-blue eyes, he suspected the answer would be better than expected. 

"How did you get him out?" He knew it had to be sometime after he and Dream escaped. 

"You guys made a wonderful distraction." Ghost replied. "We used the chaos to disguise ourselves and snatch him from his room. You can probably guess the rest from there." 

Shivering at the memory of being chased in flashes of scarlet light, George nodded. 

"When is Dream going to wake up?" Tommy interrupted their conversation, drawing attention to the one person who hadn't spoken the entire time. "Corpse only said he was in a coma, and we needed to hurry." 

Ghost and Foolish glanced at the dirty blond, sympathy darkening their features. The shark-alien's tail curled, and his furrowed brows displayed a rare expression of worry.

"We don't know." The confession ripped George's heart to shreds. "His mum said it was a waiting game." 

"He'll wake up." Ghost reassured him, crossing the room to pat the brunette's shoulder. "We've come too far for one of us to give up now." 

He'd sell his soul to the devil to prove Ghost right, but in this case, only time would tell. At that moment, Holly poked her head into the room. 

"Not to interrupt your reunions," She began. "But the humans and Dream need to rest. Doctor's orders." 

"What about our rest?" Foolish whined. "We've been running around for hours."

"You're big boys, you can rest after you help Corpse with the security system." She ordered. "I already have rooms arranged for all of you."