Chapter 40

George POV

"You did what?!" Dream gaped at him, his eyes pleading for the brunette to take back his confession.

"Someone had to do it!" George's cheeks burned, having admitted all the ways he'd helped care for the dirty blond during his coma. Sure, he'd be embarrassed if someone had bathed him in his sleep, too, but it wasn't like they'd had a choice. 

Dream covered his face with his hands. An humiliated groan rang off the walls, the tips of his ears turning bright red. 

"Oh, stop being dramatic." The human grabbed his wrists, failing in his attempts to pry the hands away. "Would you have preferred to get rashes and skin infections?! Don't even get me started on the sores your mother forced me to see pictures of so I'd know what to look out for!" 

"Doesn't sound so bad." Dream mumbled. 

"You're impossible, stop being a baby." George finally managed to drag his hands off, revealing his flushed face. 

It'd been twenty-four hours since he'd woken, and his speech improved greatly with hours of rest. Holly administered medicine for coughing, and helped him drink a full glass of water. She told them that he could be off an IV by tomorrow. 

"Would you want me to see you naked without you knowing?" He countered. 

"I- okay. Fair." George couldn't argue with that logic. "But it was still for medical purposes." 

Dream grumbled something under his breath he didn't catch. Leaning closer, he asked him to repeat it. 

"I said thank you. For keeping me company. You kept your promise not to leave." 

"Of course, I— wait." George's ears began to ring, swallowing hard against a sudden realization. "How do you know I never left?"

"I couldn't remember when I first woke up, everything was too jumbled and confusing." Dream spoke slowly, avoiding meeting his eyes. "But, it's all coming back now."

"You could hear me?" He bunched the dirty blond's green sweater in his palm, gripping unconsciously onto his shoulder like a lifeline. 

Dream hummed, giving him a tiny nod. "'You're right here, but I'm still missing you.'"

"Oh my God..." Emotion welled a lump in George's throat. "You... you really..." 

A cheeky grin spread across freckled cheeks. "You also told me you loved me."

"... kill me..." 

"Who's embarrassed now?" Dream wheezed, looking all too satisfied with himself for turning the tables. 

"Shut up, idiot." George pinched his shoulder, earning a dramatic ow. "Besides, it's... not a lie, so, whatever."

Sparkling green softened, blinking at him with a newfound gentleness. Since Dream woke up, or perhaps he simply never noticed, the dirty blond gazed at him differently. Every word the human spoke captivated his attention, his expression one of tender affection. 

It was almost as if he was finally allowed to love.

"Pardon me." Holly's head appeared in the doorway. "George, do you mind if I borrow you for a moment?" 

Dream's mouth pursed, his body language anything but happy with that. He remained silent, though, likely knowing better than to argue with his mother.

"Of course." George hopped up from the edge of the bed, exiting the room to stand in the hallway. 

She wriggled her eyebrows at her son, earning an annoyed snort, and closed the door behind the brunette. 

Her next words surprised him. "How are you, hun?"