Chapter 1

~15 𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚊𝚐𝚘~
~𝙰𝚐𝚎: 2~

"Mommy look!"

I shouted happily gaining her attention, she looked up from her book with a soft smile as she asked me what I wanted. I smiled big and did my trick which I thought was the coolest thing in the world. I grabbed my cup of water and poured it on our floor, she gasped about to stand up, but I threw my arms up in the air as I concentrated on my trick. The water followed my arm's motion and created a small wall made of water, she gasped even louder now completely standing up. "Oh, my god honey that's amazing!" She said happily as she picked me up and took me into her room.

"Guess who just bent water! And it was a pretty advanced move, I think she might be a water prodigy." She said happily as she walked up to dad, he turned his attention to us and abruptly stood up from his desk.

"But that's impossible! She started bending fire a couple of days ago!"

"What? How come you didn't tell me!?"

"You were working at the healing hut."

Mom sighed and cupped his cheek forgiving him, his face seemed to click as he thought of something. "What if she's the avatar!?" Mom looked just as shocked slightly glancing at me and then back at him. "There's no way, maybe she just got incredibly lucky during development." She then started to ramble about how I couldn't be the avatar because she didn't want me taken away. She set me back down on the ground and told me to go play because they were going to have a talk. I celebrated and ran into my room grabbed the toys my mom made me and began to play.

I heard a bunch of loud screams outside our house, so I looked through my bedroom window and saw people running away and a bunch of grey snow falling from the sky. "Grey snow!" I exclaimed to myself as I ran outside excited to play in the freshly fallen snow. As soon as I got outside, I jumped into the snow but as soon as I touched it, I realized it wasn't snow. It smelt like burnt things, my face retorted in disgust as I jumped out of the pile of ash and looked around. There were people bending fire and ruining our city, scared I ran back into the house and called for my parents.

My parents came running up to me worried my mom asked if I was ok as my dad investigated the commotion. He saw what was going on and started frantically packing up any important things he could find. "We need to go to the Southern water tribe fast." He picked up the bags and handed them to mom, he then picked me up and we left our house. There were so many people running and screaming holding their kids tight to not get separated and all the men were fighting off the people fire bending. It was all so loud and scary that I turned and buried my face into my dad's chest.

He was running so quickly weaving through people and dodging things I didn't dare peak. "Where are we going?" I asked holding his shirt tightly. "We're going to go live with your cousins for a while." He said. We kept running for what felt like forever, we got to the boats and he sat me in the boat. He took the things from mom and quickly sat them in the boat next to me. "Wait I need to get us food, it's a long trip." Mom said as she turned and ran back to our house. Dad sat in front of me reassuring me that everything was ok and that he wasn't going to leave me.

We waited for mom to get back for a long time but she never came. "Dad, where's mom...?" I asked scared that the scary people got her. He got out of the boat and told me not to move and that he would be right back. I hid under the seat of the boat with a big stick in my hand. Hoping that no one would come for me. "(Y/n)? (Y/n)!?" I heard my dad call out, I peeked my head out and saw it was just him. I came out of my hiding spot and sat on the seat.

"Where's mom?"

"I couldn't find her anywhere. I'm sure she's ok. Don't worry my little firecracker."

꧁𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎𝚂𝚔𝚒𝚙꧂

"It is an honor to have you back lieutenant."

I clung to my dad's leg hiding behind him as an old man bowed to greet him. My dad bowed back. "And who is this?" The old man asked looking down at me, a small smile on his face. "This is my daughter, (Y/n)." Dad softly patted my head trying to encourage me to come out. "I have a nephew your age who would love to play with you." He smiled down at me, everything about him felt welcoming so I stopped hiding behind my dad's leg.

The old man showed us to my dad's old house. I looked around taking in the new house and started to explore. "She's going to grow up to be a very strong woman." The old man said watching me explore. "I just hope she'll find someone who can handle her." My dad said sadly watching me climb onto the couch.

"What happened to the mother?"

"Dead, I didn't know what to tell (Y/n) so I took her back here."

"To the fire nation? Can't she water bend?"

"Yes, and fire bend. I know it wasn't smart taking her here but I just panicked. I didn't know what to do."

"Best not tell anyone she can water bend."

"I'll teach her nothing but fire bending. Could you please help me keep her safe?"

"Of course (D/n). And how has your illness been these past years?"

"Not good, I'm not sure how much longer I have left. If I'm gone before she's an adult, please look out after her."

"Of course, I would expect nothing less."

"Thank you, Iroh, you truly are my best friend."