Chapter 20

Today's the day of the comet, the day when Aang is supposed to defeat Zuko's father. We packed up all our camping equipment and got ready to go back to the Southern Water tribe. "I'm a little nervous meeting your family." I smile nervously. "Our family." Sokka says as he brings me into a side hug. "They'll love you. It'll be ok." Katara gave a comforting smile.

Once we made it to the Southern Water tribe we got off Appa. "Gran gran!" Katara and Sokka yelled happily. I watched them run up to their grandma and hug her. She hugged them back with the biggest smile on her face. Katara motioned for me to join, I looked at Zuko, unsure. "You have a family now, go say hi." I looked back over to the group hug and joined.

"(Y/n)? Is that really you?" Gran Gran asked.

"Yeah..it's me."

Gran Gran brought us three into a tighter hug and almost cried. "I've missed you so much! I thought you and your father were dead that day. I'm so glad you're back." She began to cry. I felt tears brewing in my eyes, I barely knew her, and I was about to cry. We all separated from the hug, and I wiped the tears away before they could fall.

Katara and Sokka looked over to the side and quickly got happier. "Dad!" They ran over to Hakoda and did another group hug. "You should go say hello to him. After all, he's your family now too." Gran Gran patted my shoulder and smiled. I looked at her, unsure, and then looked back at Zuko. He smiled softly and motioned for me to go.

"I just feel like I'm intruding.." I mumble.

"Don't worry, you're part of the family. You've always been part of the family." Gran Gran smiled.

I looked over to Katara, Sokka, and Hakoda. Hakoda looked up and met eyes with me. He opened his arms, signaling me to join the hug. I awkwardly walked up and joined the hug. "I'm glad to have all my kids back home." He spoke then squeezed us all. Hearing them call me part of the family and hearing him call me his kid... I didn't know how to feel.

'I'm happy about it, I mean, I have a family again. But...I still feel like I'm intruding on their already existing family. And I can't help but feel like he's trying to replace my dad, I know that's not his intention but...I don't know...'

I was lost in thought, trying to process my feelings. But I was soon snapped out of my racing thoughts by someone patting my back. "Huh?" I mumble, looking up. It was Hakoda. "I was just saying I don't want you to feel like I'm trying to replace your dad. He was a fine man." He smiled big. "You knew him?" I asked. "No, but Kya told me a lot about him." His big smile turned into a small soft one.

Sokka and Hakoda started to hatch plans with the rest of the men who would be fighting. Katara taught the women some fighting moves as the elders kept the young kids occupied. I sat back with Zuko who was with Appa and Momo. "Shouldn't you be teaching water bending?" He asked. "Yeah, but Katara is a better teacher. Besides I rather keep you company." I looked at him and smiled.

He blushed and scratched the back of his neck. "I guess I could use some company." I leaned against Appa and looked at him. "Are you ok?" I asked. All he did was nod his head. "Are you ok?" He copied my question. I avoided eye contact as I nodded my head, copying his response. "I know you're lying. What's wrong?" He asked.

"Discovering I have a family after thinking I was alone is a little bittersweet." I admitted.

"How so?"