Chapter 4

I was sitting next to Iroh on the main deck sipping tea as we watched Zuko practice his bending. He's been making a lot of progress, but he relies on his anger too much. My father has been teaching me how to bend fire ever since he found out I could, so I'd label myself as a master. Iroh agrees with my thoughts and has been giving me advice and tips on how to better myself as well as my bending.

"Iroh, could I ask you a question?"

I looked up from my cup as I watched him take a sip, I was certain I wanted to tell him my secret, but I was unsure how. "What's the matter (Y/n)?" He sat his cup down, noticing how serious I was. "I know they're incredibly rare and frowned upon in the fire nation. But I was curious since they're not talked about. What are your thoughts on duel benders?" I slightly cringed after asking him this, I felt like I had just ratted myself out.

"I think they're a lot stronger than the regular bender. And they are incredibly lucky. They have two amazing gifts instead of one. Bending any element is a gift and must be used as such. That's why my brother and I don't get along. We have different views."

He spoke so calmly and highly of duel benders that it made me feel at ease. He told me a couple of stories about how in the earth kingdom duel benders is a symbol of luck and strength. "So why are they frowned upon in the fire nation but loved everywhere else?" Iroh took a sip from his tea before he replied. "As far as I can tell, they're frowned upon because they can bend something other than fire, and the fire lord has declared the other nations our enemies." Such a simple explanation, yet it made so much sense.

I was so lost in thought that I was debating if I should tell him or not. If I do tell him, how would I go about it? I know what he thinks of them, so I wouldn't mind telling him. I'm sure he can keep a secret, right? "Is there something else you wanted to tell me?" He asked a little intrigued, his eyebrow cocked knowing there was something else. "There is something else I wanted to tell you. I'm just not sure how to put it in words." I continued thinking about how I should tell him. How should I tell him?

"If you're unsure how to word it, then show me."

He knows... he already knows, might as well let him know for a fact then. I turned my head to see if anyone was paying attention, but no one was. I let out a sigh. I didn't know I was holding back and turned toward my tea. I hesitantly lifted my hand to my cup and made the tea part in the middle. I looked up at Iroh and saw him watching the cup. The tea went back to normal, and he looked at me. "Keep it a secret...please?" I looked at Iroh scared. "I won't tell a soul." He then smiled at me, causing me to feel at ease.

Just before I was about to take a sip of my tea, there was a flare that was set off in the distance from a fire nation ship. "Aren't we the only ship in this area?" I asked Iroh. He nodded his head. "It must be a trap set off in an abandoned ship. We have to check it out. It could be the avatar." Zuko spoke with an ounce of hope in his voice. The crew all ran to their spots to steer the ship toward the flare that was set off.

We made it to where the flare was set off and saw the Southern water tribe. "Oh no..." I whispered to myself as I quickly ran into my room, not wanting to know what was about to happen. Zuko watched me run off and tried to stop me, but I didn't want to witness any more fire nation trauma. I tried calming myself down, but I heard footsteps in the hallway. I opened my door and peeked through and saw guards escorting a little kid. My face fell and I felt so horrible for him.

I walked out of my room and the kid and I made eye contact, I mouthed the word "sorry" as he was taken down the hall. I went to look for Zuko now that my panic shifted into worry about the kid. I found Zuko on the main deck and walked up to him.

"Who's the kid? Why is he in custody?"

"Why did you run off?" He seemed a little concerned. Maybe I was making it up.

"I'll tell you about that later. It's a long story."

"The kid is the avatar. We can finally go home. I can get my honor back." He seemed a little happy.

I didn't know how to feel about this all. If he goes to the fire nation, they'll kill him and Zuko would get misled by his dad. And I'll be stuck in a foreign place, the fire nation has never been my home, I had to live ignoring half of who I am. I left back to my room and once it was nighttime and everyone was asleep I left. I walked down the hall peeking into every room until I found the avatar. I quickly walked in and closed the door, I turned around and saw him chained up, his head hung low.

He heard the door and lifted his head and saw it was me and not a guard. He seemed so sad. "Uh..h-hello. I'm (Y/n), I just wanted to say I am so sorry this is happening to you. Is there anything I could do for you?" His expression seemed to soften and looked happier.

"I'm Aang, it's ok, I came willingly."

"Why? The fire lord will kill you."

"I didn't want them to hurt the village because of me."

"So, they're all ok?

He nodded his head, and this gave me a huge wave of relief. I'm glad Zuko left them all alone and they're all safe. "It seems like something is bothering you." I nodded knowing he was right and I couldn't hide it anymore. Who's better to talk to than an air nomad? "It's a long story." I heavily sighed, his chains clanking together as he slightly moved. "We have time." He awkwardly laughed, how could he be so calm in this situation?

I told him my whole story, he was so empathic and his face showed how sorry he was. "Do you want to come with us?" He asked a little hopeful.

"What do you mean?"

"My friends and I are going around the world to help me master the elements so I can stop the war."

"I would love to come with you but I don't want to leave Zuko. He's lost and I'm trying to help him, I'm his only friend."

"You're a very good friend then. Take your time to think about it, we'll be waiting with open arms."

I nodded and stood up. Before I left the room I turned toward him and spoke. "I'm sorry the fire nation has to be like this." I left back to my room and pulled out my book ready for another entry.

14 May

Dear Journal,

I've decided that's what I'll call you. I couldn't think of anything better. It's been a while since I've given you an entry. But this one is far from uneventful, so much has happened today.

I told Iroh about my duel bending, he was so supportive and promised to keep it secret. Now I just need to tell Zuko, he's shown interest in my past so I should tell him that too. Another thing that's happened today is that I met the avatar! I didn't know he was still alive but he is. His name is Aang and he's 12.

He's currently a prisoner on Zuko's ship...

I snuck in and talked to him, he's invited me to tag along with him and his friends to help him learn the elements so he can stop this war. That must mean he's got an escape plan, maybe I'd be able to learn water bending as we travel?

I want to feel whole, I feel incomplete and disconnected from my bloodline. Well, journal, this is my update for the day, I hope it excited you as it did me.