Detective Rogers

She felt the liquor burn in her throat on its way down and fill her with a fuzzy warm feeling. She was still smiling when she put the shot glass away. This day had been a good day. Even if it had ended completely differently than she had thought just this morning. Or exactly because.

This bar was hers, it was her home, it was her life. And that it would stay. Fuck you, Victoria Belfrey!
She heard a group of voices approach, laughter, then the door swung open with that familiar jingle. For a split second she tried to determine: were the cops here for work – because she was in trouble somehow, or were they here for leisure, looking for a fun night? It seemed to be the latter this time. Most of them were still wearing their uniforms, but seemed in high spirits, yelling and laughing loudly.
„Hey, Roni!", one of them shouted as they were sitting down at one of the larger tables, „Six beers to start with, and put'em on my tab."

She smiled and greeted them with a nod, then started pouring the beers.
„You guys look mighty chipper today", she said as she was bringing the tray over to their table and served, „Any special occasion?"
One of the men grinned. „Absolutely! Congratulations are in order."
„Is that so?"
He patted his colleague on the back, so forcefully that it almost pushed him over. „Eagle Scout here has been promoted to detective."
Roni looked at Rogers, found his blue eyes, saw his shy, humble, but still proud smile and reciprocated it. „Well then, congratulations, Detective Rogers! That has a nice ring to it."Hearing her call him that made his heart beat a little faster. It had a nice ring to it indeed!

When she was back behind the bar counter, Rogers came over to sit down on one of the stools. She smiled again. „I'm really happy for you! So well deserved. How did you manage to snag that promotion?"
He sighed. „Belfrey... I guess. I helped her track down her stepdaughter and the girl."
„I See. Poor Lucy though."
„Yeah, I know, but... there are laws and rules, you know?"
„You should know best how little I care about those", she replied jokingly, winking at him.
„But I wanted to ask... initially I told the guys we'd need to find a different place, but then we saw you were still open? Weren't you supposed to sign your bar off to Belfrey today?"
She nodded. „I was. But I didn't."
„Really?? You stood up to her?"
„I couldn't stomach the thought. It made me sick. Will it backfire? Probably, but it was the right decision, I know it in my heart."
He smiled. „Good for you! I'd be sad to see that bar counter disappear. After all that has happened on there."
He gently knocked on the polished wood, looked her deep in the eyes and they shared a quiet moment of reminiscing with each other.
„Anyhow, in that case, congrats to you too! Today was apparently a special day for both of us."
„Indeed", she took the cleaning rag and added casually, „And it doesn't have to be over yet."

She didn't look at him any further and started to clean some glasses, but he had understood her just fine, and he couldn't agree more.
After another round of beers and tequila shots, the group finally got ready to leave. On their way out, Rogers excused himself. „You know what? I'll go hit the bathroom while I'm here, you go on ahead. I'll see you tomorrow!"

He turned around and the door fell shut behind him, leaving him and Roni alone. Finally. Without another word he took four, five long strides towards her, pulled her into his arms and kissed her.