The new Killian Jones

He'd have thought that he'd find it hard to find sleep tonight, but she had been right. The day... all the past days had been way too exhausting, he had had way too little sleep throughout their latest adventures, and this bed in one of the queen's... the mayor's guest bedrooms was way too comfortable.

She had conjured up a pair of flannel pyjama bottoms and a t-shirt for him to sleep in. Now, after a much needed morning shower, inspecting the spacious wardrobe that was covering the opposite wall of the room, he found in there tailored shirts and cashmere pullovers in different colors, a cardigan, a jacket, elegant pants and a pretty tight pair of jeans, a scarf, a wool coat with a tight fit, as well as some business shoes and chelsea boots. He took a sigh, then picked a beige pair of pants, brown shoes that felt mildly uncomfortable at first and a navy blue sweater.

He walked towards the noises he could hear coming from the kitchen. And the smell... aye, that smell! He recognized it instantly.

When he saw her she was standing behind the marble kitchen island serving breakfast. She looked up to him and smiled. „Good morning! How did you sleep?"

„Marvelously! You made breakfast?"

„Let's say I was curious to find out whether Captain Hook liked my apple pancakes with eggs and bacon just as much as Detective Rogers."

„Well, that depends... on whether Mayor Regina Mills can cook like Roni."

„I let you be the judge of that. Come on, let's eat in the dining room right through there, I'll bring out the plates."

When she passed around the kitchen island he could finally see her in full, her slender frame wrapped in a tight, blue sheath dress, sleeveless, her skirt ending just above her knees with a slit in the back emphasizing her hourglass figure, her legs, her stiletto heels adding a good four to five inches to her height. She was absolutely stunning, breathtaking. A true queen! He had seen her in many an attire over the years, in the magical realm, as part of a group of bandit outcasts, as a monarch, as a rock chick bar owner in the Heights. But never like this.

With swaying hips she walked past him carrying the two breakfast plates, one in each hand, her heels clicking on the wooden floor, as he just stood there, frozen on the spot, speechless, his eyes inevitably drawn to her backside. She paused and turned around. „Everything alright?"

He was startled for a second and stammered. „Yes! Uh... yes, of course. I'm good. I'm hungry", he smiled, „You... you look incredible, Regina."

Her lips curled up into a little smirk. Of course. She knew exactly the effect she could have on men if she wanted to. Most men anyway. She reached the dining table and set down the plates, then reached for the coffeepot. „Thank you! You look very nice today too, Captain. Coffee?"

„Aye!" He sat down and she poured him and herself a cup.

„Still sugar, no milk?"

A smile of his sufficed as a reply. She sat down and they began to eat.

„Thanks for the compliment", he said, „I have to say, it appears to me that you have a very clear point of view regarding the type of clothes I should be wearing."

She smiled almost coyly. „You don't like them? You can have other things if you like? I just thought... I don't know. It's an opportunity for a fresh start. Why not with a fresh style?"

„Well, it seems a little fancypants to me, but, I'll see if I can get used to it."

„I thought it might help the rest of us, and you too, to differentiate yourself as much as possible from the other Hook."

He nodded. „You're probably right. And, by the way, if it's alright with you... I'd prefer to go by Killian. The hook is a part of me indeed", he looked down at his most peculiar accessory, „but it doesn't define me anymore the way it has in the past. Hasn't defined me in a long time. You earned your name back, Regina... you're not the Evil Queen anymore. I would love the same for myself. If I have redeemed myself enough..."

She gently put her hand on his. „You have. Trust me. Enough, and so much more. You're a good man... Killian. We wouldn't be here without you. You played your part in this story just like the rest of us. You're a hero too."

Her words put a proud, but bashful smile on his face. „They're delicious, by the way."

„I beg your pardon?"

„The pancakes. They may even be slightly better than Roni's."

„The secret's in the apples", she replied with a wink.

„So, what's your plan for the day? Got some mayoring to do?"

She nodded, chewed and swallowed before answering: „Get myself updated on current affairs. There's lots of work to do, now that the realms are all united. I'll probably be late today."

She waved her hand over the tabletop and a set of keys appeared. „Please, feel right at home."

„Thank you, love."

„And how about you? What are you going to do?"

„Not quite sure yet. Hopefully meet with Alice? If she'll have me and want to spend time with her old papa. As for the long term... I don't know. What could I be doing here? What's Storybrooke in need of? Or who?"

She sighed and thought about it for a while. „Well, as you know, I myself have been gone for a while, so my information may be outdated. As far as I know, we already have more than enough people working at the sheriff station, with David, Emma and her sidekick of a husband. To put it bluntly: I'd wager without the Dark One either planning danger or attracting it, not much is going to happen here aside from speeding or the occasional shoplifting incident. Even though... who knows what's going to come here from the other realms? Or, you could help me at the mayor's office! You'd fit right in with that new elegant attire of yours."

The supposedly soft cashmere fabric of his sweater made his neck itch as she smiled at him, he scratched it with the tip of his hook.

„Maybe... we shall see."

„Anyway", she put her cutlery and napkin aside and started cleaning out her place, „I'll need to get going."

He helped her clean up the kitchen before they put on their winter coats and scarves together.

„Would you like me to drop you off somewhere?"

„Aye, the sheriff station, perhaps?"

„Sure, why not? It's a start."

She stepped up to the little vanity table to add some finishing touches to her make up for the day, sorting through the creams, pencils, lipsticks and palettes in the drawer, taking out a black eyeliner to add some shape to her dark brown eyes. Killian was watching her, intrigued.

Her eyes narrowed as it dawned on her, and through the mirror, she looked him directly in the eyes. „Over my dead body... Don't even think about it. If you touch my make up, you'll wake up with a second hook. And not in the spot where you think!"

She locked her utensils away again and grabbed her purse before passing him with a cautionary look on her way out.