I love you, Regina

With a grumpy face he opened the door to the Rabbit Hole to start his shift, the same grumpy face he had been sporting all day today and yesterday since Regina had kicked him out and he had taken up his humble residence in the back of the bar like a vagabond. With every passing minute he was missing her more, wanted her more and hated himself more for his ignorance and carelessness.

Certainly, he would not be a crowd pleaser to his guests tonight, but he didn't care, they'd survive. In the end, being delightful was not part of his job description, he had to pour drinks and make sure no one would try to screw him over, that's it, and that's all anyone would get from him tonight, all to secure his next paycheck so he could finally afford a proper place to live on his own. Being a pirate certainly was more lucrative than a being a regular, hard working citizen paying his taxes to fill the pockets of a mayor he was now at serious odds with.

When he turned the corner to step behind the bar counter, he froze as he was greeted by the perfectly shaped backside of a woman that looked oddly familiar to him, dressed in tight denim. He was speechless for a moment, grabbling for words. Who was this and what was she searching for under his bar? Then the mystery woman stood up and shook her head, revealing a head of short, thick, dark curls and a pair of slender, strong, but not too muscular arms and shoulders stuck in a black tank top. Whoever she was, she looked almost astonishingly much like...

„Regina...", he whispered as she turned around and his mood turned even more sour.

She didn't respond, but smiled at him broadly and greeted him almost cheerfully: „Hey there! Tough day?"

„What is this, a cruel joke? Or some sort of punishment?"

She dried her hands and dropped the towel on the bar counter, „What can I get you? The usual?"

She turned around to grab a glass. When he didn't move, she looked over her shoulder and gave him a look that left absolutely no room for further defiance. „Sit down!"

He scoffed and did as she had told him, pulling one of the barstools towards him and sat down. When he was seated, she handed him a letter.

„Some romantically and sexually frustrated woman in a pantsuit passed by earlier and asked me to give this to you. Please... read it. For me."

He rolled his eyes, with every word, every bit that she looked exactly like his former lover, she was pouring more salt into his gaping wounds.

Reluctantly, he pulled out the letter from its envelope and began to read.

Dear Killian,

First of all, let me begin by apologizing. I know now that we're both hurting, we're both just trying to give our best everyday, I overreacted and for that I am truly sorry.

I want to put this behind us. Not just this incident, but everything.

Tonight, I would like to complete the story of Rogers & Roni. I want to give them the happy ending they never got to have. I want to say goodbye, and I want you to be able to say goodbye and to let go. Let go of who we were, so we can become who we're meant to be and move on from there – maybe? – together, hand in hand. Or... hook.

I'm asking you to please give me just one more night. On the bar counter, on the table, or simply drinking shots, chatting and laughing like old times. If you're with me, then order the daily special. If not, just leave. It's fine, I'll understand. Take the night off, I'll cover your shift for today.

Love, R

He had to read it two more times. Was this for real? Or was it a trick? What was she even saying? Was she playing Roni, was that what this was about? And... what did she now expect from him? His heart was racing and all of a sudden he could feel a heat bursting through his entire body as if he already had had his usual tequila shot.