Almost there... and yet, so far

„And you're really sure about this, mate?", Killian released his seatbelt and got out of the passenger seat of his friend's car.

„I'm pretty positive! Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, my mom and I decked out the mansion for the holiday season. Every year. It's tradition! She will love this tree, I promise. It's absolutely perfect for the living room!"

With united forces they lifted the beautiful fir tree they had just logged in the forest off Henry's trailer, then he got back into his car.

„You're not coming in? I'm sure your mother would love to see you and have you help us decorate?"

He shook his head. „It's late, I need to get home to Ella and Lucy. And let's not forget: you're doing all this to win her heart, to show her how you feel about her, to help her tear down her walls. I don't think me third-wheeling along distracting her will do you any good."

„You may be right about that."

„Alright, then. Good luck, buddy! Talk to you tomorrow!"

After he had left, Killian went about pulling the massive tree through the front yard and up to the main entrance marked with the number 108, that was already adorned by a festive wreath. Bloody hell... Henry could have at least helped him bring this thing into the house, at least like that they'd had three hands, while he alone only had one and a hook that didn't do much else than ridding the poor tree of his needles.

Alerted by the noise outside, Regina looked out the window, frowned, then went to open the front door.

„Killian? What are you doing?"

„Hey, love!", he smiled somewhat sheepishly. Seeing her now for the first time since he had admitted his feelings for her to himself earlier today instantly set his heart aflame and he was seriously at risk of stumbling over his own feet and falling flat on his face. He stopped in his tracks for a few breaths in order to avoid this horrifying fate.

„Well, I heard decking the halls the Friday night after Thanksgiving is somewhat of a family tradition in the Mills mansion? Since Henry is now occupied with a family on his own and not living here anymore, I thought I could step in?"

He saw her eyes widen, and he didn't know whether that was a good or a bad sign. „Oh... oh, of course, I see..."

„What is it? Don't you like the tree?"

„No... I mean, yes! Yes, it's stunning! That's not it. It's just..."

By now, he had come close enough to be able to look behind her into the house where he could see the hallway already being beautifully decorated with Christmas garlands and holly wreaths, delicate ornaments, candy canes, apples – of course – as well as Christmas lights and candles, bathing everything in a warm, golden light. It was like a Christmas wonderland straight out of a fairytale.

„You... you already have a tree, don't you?"

She looked over her shoulder to the living room where it undoubtedly stood, biting her bottom lip. „I'm sorry, I didn't know... I thought since no one would be helping me this year, I'd just use..."

„... Magic. I see."

„Yes. But I can make it all disappear if you like?"

„No no! I'm sure it's beautiful."

„So is yours! Maybe we can put it up here in the front yard? That way everyone walking past would see it."

She smiled, then focused, waved her hand, and as if pulled by invisible ropes, the tree rose up into the air and came standing on the lawn behind the hedges.