Chapter 11

Eliana's POV

My hands shook a bit from nervousness as I turned the envelope to open it.

The envelope wasn't sealed so I easily opened it taking out the letter and opening it.

I took a deep breath as my eyes landed on the words and started reading.

Dear Eliana,

This is a bit weird since I don't usually write letters and I'm sure you don't receive many either since -duh- emails exist.

I'm just going to get to the point since if I don't I'll just keep procrastinating and not getting to the point and I'm sure you don't want to waste time reading a letter especially one from me.

I just wanted to say- I'm sorry.

I'm sorry I made you feel invisible.

I'm sorry I somehow made you feel that I was perfect and you were less.

I'm sorry I made you think that our parents didn't love you because I took all the attention away.

I'm sorry I haven't been the best sister- probably the worst.

"You're not," I found myself saying involuntarily even though she wasn't here and couldn't hear me before continuing reading.

I know I seem to you as an attention seeker, always trying to make you invisible and making everyone pay attention to me.

As crazy and as messed up as it sounds- I thought I was helping you out.

A few years ago I accidentally heard our parents talk.

They were talking about you.

Something about a phone call with your actual parents and how it's only a few years away from returning you.

It doesn't take an idiot to realize that you weren't my real sister.

So she didn't like me because I wasn't her real sister?

Before you jump into conclusions, no, that didn't make me hate you and want to destroy your life even though that's what it looked like sort of.

First of all, you know how obsessed our parents are with perfection. They love being able to brag to our relatives about their child. You know with perfection comes stress, extensive work and sleepless nights. I thought I was taking a weight off your shoulders.

I didn't want the few years you had with us to be filled with stress and the need to satisfy every wish they had and not enjoying your time with us. Especially since you spent your entire teenage life here.

I also didn't want you to get attached to them. Imagine loving them so much that it breaks you when they get ripped away from you. Especially on your birthday.

I didn't want you to go through that.

My actions say different but my intentions were truly pure.

No matter what you are my little sister and I must protect you because I love you.

I now see how blind and stupid I was because I ended up doing exactly what I didn't want to happen to you and that's make you feel terrible your entire stay.

I'm sorry.

I really will miss you and I hope one day you'll forgive your stupid elder sister.

Love,
Delilah.

I folded the paper, wiping away a tear and putting the letter back in its envelope.